cpld version?

I want to order a xilinx xc9536 cpld. In one catalog I found the following

9536 XLX 44 PLCC In-system Programmable FLASH CPLD, 15ns, 100MHz XC9536-15PC44C. 384-8980

9536 XLX 44 PLCC In-system Programmable FLASH CPLD, 10ns, 100MHz, 3.3V (IND TEMP) XC9536XL-10PC44C 384-9016

What are the 15ns and 10ns respectively refer to ?

Reply to
<carshie>

Did you take a look at the datasheets?

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Uwe Bonnes

Good question. It's the pin-to-pin logic delay of the device.

XC95xx come in several sizes (macrocells) each size is tested and given a speed rating, -10, -7, -15 etc. This figure is the tpd in nanoseconds: you can expect to pay more for the faster devices, but with the benefit that you can run them at a higher frequency. The way to distinguish them is in the part number

XC95288-10HQ208C ^^^^^^^^ = 288 macrocell xc9500 ^^^ = 10ns tpd ^^^^^^^= 208 PQ package with heat sink ^ = commercial temperature grade

One vital thing to note is that this is NOT the same as FPGA markings, FPGA have a speed grade, which does not directly correspond to any tpd, and higher numbers are FASTER, the opposite of CPLD markings (from my experience)

Just my 2p Ben

Reply to
Benjamin Todd

Having looked in the datasheet (belatently) there is another question, in the top of the datasheet the pin to pin delay is quoted as 5ns, then down below we see also 6ns 7ns 10ns 15ns. So do they mean to say that 5ns is the fastest one, but slower one are also available?

Another question, I have here a xc9536 which has the following marking

xc9536 tm pc44amm0521 f3002413a

7c

What speed would it be? I can't find the ordering number on the part, or should have I made a note of it when I bought it (so how would I to know if my supplier did not send me a different spec?)

Reply to
<carshie>

Carshie,

See Answer Record 1067. It will be able answer all your questions regarding to part markings:

-David

Reply to
davide

Reply to
Peter Alfke

regarding

I looked, there is no answer to my question. My xc9536 does not carry the markings mentioned there, all I have is as follows:

xc9536 tm pc44amm0521 f3002413a

7c

Reply to
<carshie>

Did you actually look at Solution2?

You may not be using Virtex-4 but the rest of the lines appear verbatim correct to your description.

John_H

Well, if you believe that then you tell me, what is my propagation delay time?

question,

then

marking

Reply to
<carshie>

7 ns, Commercial grade.

Changing the "10C" to "7C" in the illustration to match your part would make the following text applicable:

Line 4 Device speed grade (7) and temperature range (C). If a grade is not marked on the package, the product is considered commercial grade.

In addition to the mark shown above, Line 4 can contain a few other variations as described below:

7C xxxx The "xxxx" indicates the SCD for the device. An SCD is a special ordering code that is not always marked in the device top mark.

7CES The "ES" indicates an Engineering Sample (as opposed to a production device).

7CESn The "n" is a numeral (1, 2, 3, etc.) The "ES" indicates an Engineering Sample, the "n" indicates an ES revision code. For example, ES1, ES2, ES3, etc. Please see Errata for appropriate information. To obtain Errata, you must register for MySupport, see (Xilinx Answer 21491).

7CESnL or 7CESnR This part marking is used only for Virtex-4 FX engineering sample devices. The "L" indicates that only left (column 0) MGTs are available and the "R" indicates that only the right (column 1) MGTs are available when looking at the device from the "bottom-up."

Reply to
John_H

make

and where did you get the 10C from, did I say I have 10C ?

Reply to
<carshie>

No, master, sorry, master. What is your next request???

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/
Reply to
Ben Jackson

Reply to
Peter Alfke

From earlier, referring to the link

I asked if you looked at Solution2 for that Answer record. By the "I couldn't find it no matter *how* hard I looked tone in your response, I figured you had trouble connecting simple images and phrases with the information being conveyed. I thought that if I cut & pasted the quotes for the 10C value USED IN THE ILLUSTRATION IN THE ANSWER RECORD that you would obviously get confused. So I requoted the text to show the "7C" you have on your part. I only mentioned the "10C" to avoid having you say that the text I quoted wasn't in the Answer record.

Additionally, the xc9536 data sheet on page 7

shows the device marking explicitly calling out the "Speed" number.

You appear to not bother 1) read the data sheet, 2) read the answer record that was provided to you as a link, and/or 3) prefer to have everything handed to you in such an outrageously clear fashion that a third generation tropical island castaway would understand what the marking on the device meant.

We helped. You returned, helpless. You complained.

Have you considered herb farming for a career?

Reply to
John_H

As per usual in this news group when people don't get their way they become cinical.

Reply to
<carshie>

You want me to be polite, going by this answer. My first language is none of your business, this remark could qualify you as something, I won't say to save you the embarassment.

Reply to
<carshie>

Just FYI: it qualifies him as someone whose first language wasn't English, making him particularly sensitive to the issues faced by those who try to communicate on this board with an excellent written word but who miss the more subtle meanings in these newsgroup communications and in technical documentation.

Reply to
John_H

This group is filled with much expertise and most participants are MORE than willing to help in anyway they can. I've seen them give students answers to their homework, and give engineers help with debugging and overcoming design hurdles. The only thing any of the aforementioned SME's expect is that those posting questions would be polite, truthful, and professional. There's a wealth of knowledge on this board that is made available to anyone earnestly seeking answers.

There's an old proverb which says that "a wise man will hear, and will increase learning, and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels". You've done properly by contacting this group (wise counsel), but unless you are willing to HEAR and listen to that wisdom you're nothing more than a fool.

Here's a piece of advice: stay humble, don't react when filled with emotion, and be willing to take criticism.

Reply to
Rob