CPLD design software under WINE?

Have You got any experiences running design software for windowses under WINE & Linux or plain Linux for X86 or other Linux? The devices I'd like to design for are Lattice ispLSI1016/1032/E and Xilinx XC9572/XL.

Reply to
Mika Leinonen

Have You got any experiences running design software for windowses under WINE & Linux? The devices I'd like to design for are Lattice ispLSI1016/1032/E and Xilinx XC9572/XL. I have ispDesignExpert 8.4 installed for Windows. And a recent Xilinx Webpack.

Reply to
Mika Leinonen

For the Xilinx part, ISE Webpack is available for GNU/Linux. They only claim to support only RHEL, but I got it running on Debian. It does seem slower than the Windows version, but it is better than using WINE. Actually the only slow thing about it is the GUI.

Darrell Harmon

dlharmon

The only thing that really sucks is my new dual Opteron system that cannot run the Webpack because it is 32-bit and my system is 64-bit. And no, the 32-bit emulation does not work. Frustrating.

-Steve

Reply to
Steven J. Hill

I've got round this for the few remaining apps that don't play nice on my 64 bit system by building a chroot with the appropriate stuff in it and mounting /home back underneath.

Bit messy, but it does all work.

There's some good instructions for how to do this on a Debian system in the "Using an IA32 chroot to run 32bit applications" part of:

- Derek

Reply to
Derek Gladding

Mike,

It might be worth trying a recent release of ispLEVER software for Linux. Lattice qualifies it under Red Hat Enterprise v3 so it may run fine under your Linux distribution. I'd expect the Linux version to run a bit faster than WINE however for the little CPLDs it may not make a difference either way.

Troy Scott Lattice Semiconductor snipped-for-privacy@latticesemi.com

Reply to
troy.scott

Mika,