Counter ? - Page 2

Re: Counter ?

Not to me.

Re: Counter ?
Yes, this is should be great, I am just going to put it in my
toplevel, and simulate. Thanks a lot. (are you available
for more questions?)

Re: Counter ?
I also need to multiplex the clock.
There will be 3 inputs instead of the
previous clock. As follows:

clock1
clock2
clockselect

always @(clocksel or clock1 or clock2)
begin
if(clocksel) clk<=clock2;
else clk<=clock1;
end

This gives me warnings

WARNING:Cpld - Possible asynchronous logic: Clock pin 'counter<0>.CLKF' has
WARNING:Cpld - Possible asynchronous logic: Clock pin 'counter<1>.CLKF' has
WARNING:Cpld - Possible asynchronous logic: Clock pin 'counter<2>.CLKF' has
WARNING:Cpld - Possible asynchronous logic: Clock pin 'counter<3>.CLKF' has

Waiting with anticipation.

Re: Counter ?

<snip>

Please wait.

Please wait.

Re: Counter ?

At least you tried this time.

What is your target device?

Re: Counter ?

Thats not an easy question, because switching to an other clock will
result in hazards. So the question is: Are hazards at the resulting
clock a problem or not?

If they are a problem:
1) You might disable the logic while switching to the other clock.
2) You might take care of the hazards and avoid them. If so you need two
cross-coupled clock gates (one for each input clock) and the appropriate
logic to select one clock AND disable the other BEFORE. If I remember it
right, this is possible using 4 latches (plus combinational logic). 1
Latch as clock gate, enabled during the high level of an input clock and
1 latch to release the other clock gate. You will lose some clock
pulses, if you use this solution.

Ralf

Re: Counter ?

I'm SERIOUSLY trying to help here and you completely blew off my other
questions in this email AND you have NEVER asked a question that I can
recall.  A question usually involves a question mark.  Are you aware what
that is?  My apologies if you actually did ask questions in your previous
posts, but I recall them all as "This is my situation."  "Eagerly
anticipating your reply."  Please look at my response again from this
morning and inform us:  from what background do you come and how would you
approach this in software (if you know programming languages).

Don't blow off the ones that are trying to help you because others vent
their frustration with your inadequate approach to pursuing information from
the other posters on this newsgroup.

It's fine if english isn't your first language.  It's fine if you're a
student.  It's fine if you want other people to do your job, just be UP
FRONT with this group and we can be a friendly, responsive bunch.

Re: Counter ?

Hello,
I received the info from another member.
Just to be clear, I don't really like your question if I am
professional or hobbyist, also, you do not explain how
you define hobbyist/professional. Personally, I don't
think it matters, some professionals are amaturish,
and some amatures are professional. Don't try to
put people into boxes.

Re: Counter ?
Is this a day-care center or a professional newsgroup?
Somebody wants to design a 4-bit counter with two additional control
inputs.
That is about as trivial a problem as I can imagine.
If he has a problem with that, he should read some simple text books
on logic design,
but not post nine times in this newsgroup, and cause a 23-long thread.
This is a nice, patient, and helpful group.
Just don't abuse it!
Peter Alfke

Re: Counter ?
All beware,
confidense tricksters operate here.

Re: Counter ?

Just curious
  How old are you ?
  Is this your course major ?

-jg

Re: Counter ?

To address an audience effectively, you should know your audience.

If you're an Electrical Engineering graduate, you should know electronics
and logic inside out; being new to HDL involves quite a step that's easy for
us to help with the transition.

If you're a software engineer getting into the hardware world, you know how
to do things procedurally with precision and grace in a serial machine;
being new to the parallel nature of hardware involves quite a step that's
easy for us to help with the transition.

If you're a student with a difficult assignment, we've all been in your
shoes; being new to the course material involves quite a step in the raw
concepts involved that's easy for us to help with the transition.

If you're a lazy engineer who's paid to do this work and expected to be
confident in your abilities, you're a lazy good-for-nothing indiviual trying
to sap the life out of others; being lazy isn't all bad because it's easy
for us to poke fun at you and try to frustrate you to the point that you
actually do your work or realize that this is a forum that can benefit you
in the long run if you try to learn what you can't get from textbooks by
asking well-considered questions.

You have proven ineffective in trying to get information because you have
not fully stated your needs.  You say what you want with limited
descriptions and expect us to produce an answer.  Usually it takes a fortune
teller (for a fee, of course) to give you that kind of detail from so
little.

As for "confidence tricksters" do you mean "con men?"  There are no con
artists on this forum that have become obvious over the years that many of
us have frequented this board.  What would POSSIBLY give you the idea from
the responses you have received in these two threads?  As far as I can tell,
your conclusion comes from visiting this forum for three days.

Re: Counter ?

Go to
http://www.standardics.nxp.com/products/counters /
and take your pick
That will get you 95% of the way there.
One of your specs MAY need a small amount of additional
logic,but I'll leave that portion as an exercise for the
student.

-jg

Site Timeline