converting from Xilinx 9500 to 9500XL, won't fit

Hello, all,

I have an old design implemented in the Xilinx 9572, and need to update it.
Using ise 13.4, I created a new project, imported the files, and found it
won't fit in the 9572XL, which was a big surprise.  Although the 9572 was
fairly full, the design easily fit there, and I just recompiled it for the
9572, and this version of ise easily fit it.

Does anybody have any suggestions on settings to make it fit in the XL?

The error messages suggest reducing the collapsing input limit or the
product term limit.  I did this in the Design goals and Strategies, but at
the end of the fitter report it still shows the default values.  Is there a
trick to making it use the modified limits and other options?

Not only does the 95144XL cost a bit more, but it is only available in the
next size up package.

Thanks very much for any help.

Jon

Re: converting from Xilinx 9500 to 9500XL, won't fit

Ah, I found that the REAL place you set the options is right clicking the
fit button then properties.  With a little adjustment of parameters, it did
fit, but seems to use a little more resources than on the 9500.  But, I have
to add 2 signals to the state machine to control an external bi-directional
level translator, so with it so close to the limit, I think it will be
necessary to move up to the 95144XL part.

Jon

Re: converting from Xilinx 9500 to 9500XL, won't fit

The one thing I'd mention is, have you tried comparing the
portion-by-portion resource usage breakdowns between the 9572 and 9572XL
builds?  It may be there was one section of the design that the
synthesizer got confused about in the XL and blew up.

Email address domain is currently out of order.  See above to fix.

Site Timeline