computer upgrade time. - Page 2

Re: computer upgrade time.

Avoid WaterCooling, it needs a lot of work. I think you are a professionist,
so you can't loose time to work on your water cooling system.
It needs really lot of time and experiments to configure and tune up a good
system.
It needs V3 radiators, a cpu waterblock, a chipset waterblock, gpu
waterblock, hard disk waterblock, a very good pump, or 2-3 pumps, Kilometers
of tubing, a reservoir, distilled water and anticorrosion kit.

Tubes must be used with series or parallel.

And you could use peltier to cool your cpu, but in this way you need also a
dedicated power supply.

I have used it when studying at university: lots of troubles... even if my
processor was overclocked from 1700+ to 2200+ with peltier cooling.

I was obliged to open case 1 time at month to tupe up system... too much
time...

Instead I suggest:

Thermalright XP-120 for CPU with a quiet 120x120 fan or XP-90

and some fans into case with a system to regulate the amount of volts,
Sunbeam Rheobus Kit, tipically a range from 5v to 12v, so you could decide
the amount of noise.

Use those fans to send air out of case, don't use them to send air into
case. In this way you can avoid that hot air runs inside case without going
out.

I can also suggest some sites where you can obtain informations:

http://www.overclockers.com section watercooling

http://www.dangerden.com great products for watercooling kits, in my
opinion the best.

PS: sorry for my terrible english.

Marco

Re: computer upgrade time.
I keep my xp2400 basically open frame, no case, right next to window,
layed flat with variable fan set to 7v or so till goes just quite but
temp is around 60c with AC on. If AC off, its either more noise or
higher temp unless window is open. The HW temp monitor is always on
next to clock.

I noticed the 300w atx supply with 4pin P4/xp 12v power connector was
also pretty noisy so I downgraded to an older 250w supply that is
almost silent but no 4pin 12v cable. Thats easy, just added a splitter
for that. Not all older PSUs like that. In Taiwan and in Microcenter I
see a $200 fanless PSU, nice hunk of extruded Al case.

The 2 vid cards and the 21,19 inch monitors probaby produce far more
heat to the room though atleast the monitors can spend some time off
and don't make noise.

I am not sure about going to LCD, you would really have to go to 1600
res a big drop from 2000 capable CRTs. But at least in the last yr
prices have dropped noticably on the 1280s and a few 1600 LCDs  are
available that are almost same price I paid for these monitors.

I am almost tempted to try hanging the cpu out of the window in an
appropriate enclosure, send the heat & noise outside in 1 go, but the
monitors will still be warm.

For the future I wait to see how the dual cores Athlon64s are and for a
PCIe dual vid card (matrox perhaps).

johnjakson at usa dot com

Re: computer upgrade time.

The dual core Athlon 64 should be available in a few weeks, thats the
machine to go for. The most important thing is cache size not clock speed.
There are four A64 X2s, a 2.2GHz 1/2M Cache version, a 2.2GHz 1M cache
version, a 2.4 GHz 1/2M cache version and a 2.4GHz 1M cache version. The
one you want is the 2.2GHz 1M cache version, it's much cheaper then either
of the 2.4GHz models and it will run rings around the 2.4GHz 1/2M cache
part.

I have two A64 machines, a 3400+ which is 2.2GHz 1M Cache, 754 pin, and a
3800+ which is 2.4 GHz 1/2M cache, 939 pin. The 3400+ is twice as fast as
the 3800+ running NCverilog. I did a bunch of benchmarks a couple of
months ago, here are the results,

http://www.polybus.com/linux_hardware/index.htm

Re: computer upgrade time.

Thanks all who replied.  You've given me lots to chew on.

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
Re: computer upgrade time.

I finally got around to specifying the system.  I settled on a system
put together by <A HREF="http://secure.hypersonic-pc.com hypersonic
PC</A> Cyclone system with an Athlon 64 X2 4800+, 2GB RAM, Raid 3 with
250 GB SATA drives.  I substituted and Nvidia Quadro FX540 for the video
(I didn't need the high end gaming video).  It has liquid cooling for
the processor and acoustic insulation, so hopefully I won't suffer any
more hearing loss.  Should have it in my hands by the end of the month.

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.