computer upgrade time.

I keep my xp2400 basically open frame, no case, right next to window, layed flat with variable fan set to 7v or so till goes just quite but temp is around 60c with AC on. If AC off, its either more noise or higher temp unless window is open. The HW temp monitor is always on next to clock.

I noticed the 300w atx supply with 4pin P4/xp 12v power connector was also pretty noisy so I downgraded to an older 250w supply that is almost silent but no 4pin 12v cable. Thats easy, just added a splitter for that. Not all older PSUs like that. In Taiwan and in Microcenter I see a $200 fanless PSU, nice hunk of extruded Al case.

The 2 vid cards and the 21,19 inch monitors probaby produce far more heat to the room though atleast the monitors can spend some time off and don't make noise.

I am not sure about going to LCD, you would really have to go to 1600 res a big drop from 2000 capable CRTs. But at least in the last yr prices have dropped noticably on the 1280s and a few 1600 LCDs are available that are almost same price I paid for these monitors.

I am almost tempted to try hanging the cpu out of the window in an appropriate enclosure, send the heat & noise outside in 1 go, but the monitors will still be warm.

For the future I wait to see how the dual cores Athlon64s are and for a PCIe dual vid card (matrox perhaps).

johnjakson at usa dot com

Reply to
JJ

I would be a little wary of dual cores at the moment

has been stress testing an Intel and AMD system lately.. 5 motherboards, a ram and a FAN all replaced in an Intel System. I personally would wait until the power drops below 100Watts to make sure the system would cope or buy a good name brand. the AMD system seems to be going well however. I also thing a dual Pentium-M around 2G would leave the Pentium 4 in its dust and be cool and quite... shouldn't be too far away. But if your serious about high end.. get away from Intel its the slowest system out there. I would be seriously looking at Spark or what ever else the manufacturers support as an alternative, The Intel Architecture is rather old and full of compromise.

I also don't think your system is so bad.. I still use just a hyperthread

2.8G P4 with 512 Megs RAM :-) and I enjoy the coffee breaks.

Simon

Reply to
Simon Peacock

The dual core Athlon 64 should be available in a few weeks, thats the machine to go for. The most important thing is cache size not clock speed. There are four A64 X2s, a 2.2GHz 1/2M Cache version, a 2.2GHz 1M cache version, a 2.4 GHz 1/2M cache version and a 2.4GHz 1M cache version. The one you want is the 2.2GHz 1M cache version, it's much cheaper then either of the 2.4GHz models and it will run rings around the 2.4GHz 1/2M cache part.

I have two A64 machines, a 3400+ which is 2.2GHz 1M Cache, 754 pin, and a

3800+ which is 2.4 GHz 1/2M cache, 939 pin. The 3400+ is twice as fast as the 3800+ running NCverilog. I did a bunch of benchmarks a couple of months ago, here are the results,

B. Joshua Rosen

Thanks all who replied. You've given me lots to chew on.

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930     Fax 401/884-7950

                                          -Benjamin Franklin, 1759
Reply to
Ray Andraka

I finally got around to specifying the system. I settled on a system put together by

Reply to
Ray Andraka