Command line in Windows?

What do you folks use as a command line shell in Windows? I know several people are working outside of Project Navigator (Xilinx) for builds and it Windows is just not a very comforting environment for shell folks. What 'make' utility do you use?

Jake

Reply to
Jake Janovetz

I don't use the Navigator. I just make little batch files and execute them from the command line. I'm told that the Cygwin environment is very nice; it allows Unix-like shells on Windows, but I haven't tried it.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Neilson

Consider adding linux with dual boot for windows. Then you can use any shell you like and the real make.

-- Mike Treseler

Reply to
Mike Treseler

Also, cygwin is not that bad.

Nicholas C. Weaver

CygWin is OK, but it's large and slow. For a faster and smaller unix-like shell you can consider Msys (from

or actually Services for Unix from MS
I myself use GNU make under plain vanilla CMD.EXE. It works fine for me, though it's a bit annoying that Xilinx changes the command-line options in every single release of their toolchain.

Regards, Andras Tantos

Reply to
Andras Tantos

it's

single

What does 'make' do for you that batch files to run the tools doesn't?

Not being aggressive - just curious in case I am missing out on some labour saving functionality!

Cheers,

Ken

Ken

Nothing, if you don't use a program that generates makefiles.

Modelsim and emacs-vhdl-mode can generate makefiles to recompile just the right files in just the right order after you edit a few.

But it requires having "make" in the path.

-- Mike Treseler

Reply to
Mike Treseler

unix-like

for

myself

labour

Not much, since xilinx tools need a complete rebuild of the project if a single source-file changes. (Due to the 'flattening' of the design.) It buys some degree of platform independence though. When I gave Linux a try it was much easier to port my design flow to that platform.

Regards, Andras Tantos

Reply to
Andras Tantos

Cygwin. I can't live with a Windows machine without Cygwin installed. It has everything a Unix shell has, including tab-completion, history, ...

Gernot

Reply to
Gernot Koch (remove digits from user)

Ditto.

The windows command shell also has these features (at least in contemporary versions of windows).

Tab-completion is disabled by default. Use regedit to change the value of HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor\CompletionChar from 0 to 9 to enable it. It's not the same as tab-completion in bash, but it's better than nothing.

Regards, Allan.

Reply to
Allan Herriman

For one, it buys me time -- I don't have to learn cheesy Windows batch files and can use something that is far more flexible and platform independent. Two, it buys integration with the rest of a project. I can run a complete build that includes FPGA stuff (several variants, for example), the C code on an embedded processor, and the C code for Windows/Linux interfaces that may accompany a project.

Unfortunately, most of the Xilinx project has to be rebuilt for any change anyhow, so you gain less in terms of incremental build as you do in C projects.

Jake

Reply to
Jake Janovetz

Yes, I've used Cygwin extensively for years and like it very much. I was curious if there was a tolerable 100%-Windows environment.

Reply to
Jake Janovetz

Yes, with the new tools usable under Linux, I've considered moving back there. I use Linux under VMWare for a lot of stuff, I just haven't moved my FPGA work back. Maybe that's what I should do...

Reply to
Jake Janovetz

For Window$ Explorer sustitution: Windows Commander (can't live without it)

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Vestergaard Kragelund