Combinational logic and gate delays - Help

Hello All

I have a combinational logic circuit generating a number of waveforms
from the main clock input. There are a number of external inputs to
this circuit controlling the turning on and off of different outputs.

My problem is that I need a certain timing relationship between four of
the outputs.

I realise that normally to obtain a given timing relationship one would
use synchronous logic. But in this case as I require signals with the
same frequency as the main clock I must use combinational logic.

From the output of my logic simulator I am seeing some issues which
confuse me:

(a) Different logic gates have different delays, A NOT has less delay than
    an OR gate. May be this should have been obvious to me. Is it correct?

(b) If I add a gate to create a delay, it seems to be getting optimised out.
    Is there some way to stop a gate added for this purpose from being removed?

Thanks for all assistance in advance.

Denis

Re: Combinational logic and gate delays - Help
Denis, I assume (correctly?) that you implement your logic in Xilinx or
Altera FPGAs.
In these parts, the logic is implemented in 4-input look-up tables, and
the distinction between AND, OR, and INV is meaningless. It all ends up
as the through-delay in a ROM with 4 address inputs and thus 16 stored bits.
You can, however, force the software to use one LUT for each gate, but
there still is no systematic difference between different gate types.

I might suggest the clock phase adjust feature in Virtex-II, where you
can define and even step the clock output in increments of (one clock
period divided by 256) or 50 ps. That might give you a far more
predictable solution, and it would be a synchronous design, which we all prefer.

Peter Alfke, Xilinx Applications
============================

Re: Combinational logic and gate delays - Help
Hi Peter

Thanks as always for your help.

I am using a Spartan XL XCS05XL. I dont think features
like that from the Virtex - II are available.

Thanks for the point on the delay. As you can see Im new to
some of the more basic points. Amazing how far you can get
without understanding everything that goes on under the hood.

In the simulation of my final design I can see that signals that
travel through more gates in my schematic have a greater delay. Does this
tie in with the look up table implementation.

Thanks

Denis

prefer.
removed?

Re: Combinational logic and gate delays - Help
A Spartan XL precludes some of the tricks you could have done with a DLL or DCM.
 The
problem you are running into is due to the fact that a susbtantial part of the
propagation
delay is comprised of routing delays.  Your circuit is most likely being
implemented in
two LUTs with parallel inputs.  While the LUT delays are fairly consistent, the
delays
incurred in getting the signals to the LUTs and the outputs from the LUTs to the
I/O are
in all likelihood not matched.  Unfortunately, the router is not really set up
for
matching delays, so you'll probably have to resort to hand routing it using FPGA
editor if
this approach is really necessary.  If you could obtain a 2x or 4x clock in the
context of
your system, it may be far easier to deal with.  You might also consider using a
small
CPLD instead, the routing there is usually less sensitive to the tools.

prefer.
out.
removed?

--Ray Andraka, P.E.
Re: Combinational logic and gate delays - Help
Denis, you may just have been lucky. The software can pack any logic
with four inputs and one output into one LUT, with almost the same dalay.
Don't assume blindly that more logic always means a longer delay...
Peter Alfke
===========

Re: Combinational logic and gate delays - Help
Hi Peter and All

This implementation and consequent resulting delays issue is begining to
drive me around the bend.

Below is a small diagram of my schematic.
To ensure tha OP2 (Output 2) changes state after OP1 (Output 1)
I set up the circuit as shown.
However I find in my simulation results that OP2 changes state
before OP1.
This appears to defy the laws of physics but Im sure there is a simple
explenation.

Signals control 1 and control 2 are low throughout.

Regards

Denis

                              OP2
    OP1                       _|_
     |                         OR
     |                        |__|
     |                         ||____ control 1
     |                         |
     |_____________| Not |_____|
    _|_
     OR
    |__|
     ||____
     |     |
     |    Not
control2   |

         Main Clk

prefer.
removed?

Re: Combinational logic and gate delays - Help
Denis, it seems that you are gating the clock. This is not exactly
illegal or immoral, but definitely a bad and dangerous habit. Try to
avoid that. (Use CE instead).

Also remember that the software can compile your combinatorial logic
structure any way it sees fit. In synchronous logic, this does not
matter. But you seem to expect that it does the logic "your way"...
Peter Alfke

prefer.
out.
removed?

Re: Combinational logic and gate delays - Help

The fundamental problem is that the tools don't support what you are
trying to do.  And if you need a minimum delay, the silicon doesn't
really support it either.

When you draw a pile of gates like that, the system tosses them in
the air and comes up with an equivalent circuit that usually fits
better in the part.  While doing that, it doesn't worry about
relative timing.  It's just trying to meet setup times for the
next clock.  It often makes copies of your "gates" since they are
free if the LUT has unused inputs.

Have you tried the floorplanner or such to see what they actually did?

The first approach is to find some way to do the job with "simple"
cleanly clocked logic.  That's what the tools expect you to be doing.
If you can get a 2x clock, then you can put a FF after the OR gate for
OP1, (and fixup the logic) and then run that signal over to the
gate for OP2.  That doesn't guarantee that OP1 will get to the outside
world before OP2.  Can you add a half clock (double clock?) delay?  If
so, add a FF on OP2 and clock it on the other edge.  If you really
want clean timings on the outside world, you want to use FFs in the
IOBs.  (perhaps cloning the logic, so you have a copy inside to
feed to other logic)

You probably CAN trick the tools into doing something useful, but you
will have problems like this, and if you change anything or the tools
change, you might have to go through this all over again.

It's an interesting chicken-egg problem.  Because the tools don't
support this sort of thing, not many people try to do it.  Since
not many people do it, there is no demand for the tools to support it.

Do you have spare IO pins?  One thing you can do is bring OP1 out
on one pin and back in on another without telling the system about
the external connection.  You can probably bring it back in on the
same pin, but now you are taking the risk that some smart tool will
see what you are doing and "fix" it up for you.

--
The suespammers.org mail server is located in California.  So are all my
other mailboxes.  Please do not send unsolicited bulk e-mail or unsolicited

Many thanks for all the input.
Its given me loads to mull over.
Ill do some more work and get back to you all.

Regards and thanks

Denis

removed?