CLKFX problem with a Virtex II

Hi,

In the design I am working on there is (for the moment) a DCM generating a CLK0, CLK2X and CLKFX outputs with CLKIN being 40 MHz and no reset on the RST pin of the DCM (tied to VCC). All seems fine during functionnal simulation but on the board the CLKFX does not toggle (STATUS of DCM is high but the LOCK is high too !?!). What is confusing among other things is that a previous version of this design was previously working fine on the board regarding this clock at 160 MHz (clkfx). The difference between this failing version and the previous one that I can think of is the fact that a fair amount of logic has been added otherwise same board, same fpga, same clocking scheme, ... If anyone can give me a piece of advice that would be of great help. I will do further inverstigation in the mean time.

Thanks,

JF

Reply to
jean-francois hasson

Jean-Francois,

Use the DCM reset. It may be that the DCM is unable to use the input clock immediately after DONE goes high, and the DFS part of the DCM is unable to LOCK.

This is a fairly common start up issue with many oscillators, and for that reason we recommend connecting the reset to the local chip logic reset, or to some other circuit that checks the LOCKED bit, the CLKFX_STOPPED bit, and the CLKIN_STOPPED status bits so you know when the DCM has had a hiccup (due to the external clock) and can restart it.

Aust> Hi,

Reply to
Austin Lesea