Choosing the EPC16 or the EPCS64 for Stratix II

Hello, I'm trying to decide to use an EPC16 or EPCS64 to program the Stratix II EP2S601020C3 on my board. Can any comment which method is better/faster? Altera's development kits are using the EPCS64 so I leaning that direction.

Thanks, joe

Reply to
jjlindula

If you like the EPCS64 ($32), you'll love the ST M25P64 ($10).

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/
Reply to
Ben Jackson

The EPCS (serial configuration) devices are Altera's "low cost" alternative to the EPC (enhanced config) devices. Not only are the devices considerably less expensive they are also much smaller in size. So, typically, board costs and/or real estate drive which device you would choose. Keep in mind that you don't need to purchase either device to configure your FPGA. You can always buy some flash and have a micorprocessor perform the configuration.

On speed: the enhanced devices have the ability to connect to the FPGA via a parallel bus which allows for a faster configuration option; the serial configuration devices are just that, serial data stream only.

Reply to
Rob

Joe, Here's a solution that dedicates a small (4mmx4mm) low cost ($2), microcontroller to implement the suggested scheme. If you want to use SPI flash, then you can use the free open source version.

Or if you want to use SD/MMC flash memory cards, you can use the commercial version.

Steve

Reply to
sfielding

The better methode looks M25P64 without any compressed code inside and fastest serial solution. Using another microcontroller just for configuration (and not other purposes) seems to me a weird option even if harware cost less than $2 and programming/debugging/PCB design another $20.

Vasile

Reply to
vasile

No more weird than using a dedicated CPLD, which is a popular option for configuring an FPGA from parallel NOR flash memory. There is no way to directly configure an Altera FPGA from an M25P64 (unlike some Xilinx FPGAs), so I assume that the proposed solution assumes a microprocessor with a spare SPI port, or having the microprocessor bit bang the flash SPI port. Steve

Reply to
sfielding

Strange. I believed the EPCS64 and M25P64 are pin to pin and programming algorithm compatible...

(unlike some

Reply to
vasile

So now I understand Ben's posting. The EPCS64 and M25P64 are claimed to be entirely compatible. Does anybody have any references for this claim? Why is Altera selling an identical part for 3 times the price? Are other parts in the EPCS series also compatible with ST SPI flash components? Maybe somebody from Altera could comment?

Reply to
sfielding