ChipScope Pro Loading Memory

I had a question on whether you can use Chipscope pro to load an external SRAM connected to the FPGA. I want to use ChipSCope Pro to load data into an SRAM, is there a way to automate this, any suggestions or comments regarding this? Is this a feasible idea?

Reply to
Vivek Joshi

I don't know of any ready-to-use solution for this, so I guess you will have to design your own. You could use a user-JTAG module in your design (have a look at BSCAN_SPARTAN3 in the libraries guide). This will allow you get data in and out of your FPGA through the JTAG port.

Then you will need a little logic to interface the JTAG module with your SRAM controller.

On the PC side, you will need to write a small application that writes the data to your JTAG controller (parallel cable III or IV). A so-called "Tcl/JTAG Interface" which provides all the basic JTAG functions is available from Xilinx and comes with the Chipscope Pro Software ; have a look at the Chipscope manual.

Hope this helps.

Have fun, Guy.

Vivek Joshi wrote:

external SRAM connected to the FPGA. I want to use ChipSCope Pro to load data into an SRAM, is there a way to automate this, any suggestions or comments regarding this? Is this a feasible idea?

Reply to
Guy Eschemann

Reply to
Neil Glenn Jacobson

See, the problem is that there will be no microprocessor interface. There will just be a Virtex II FPGA interfaced to the memory. Thats why I am trying to use ChipScope pro. Vivek

Reply to
Vivek

the TCL interface does allow to talk to BSCAN yes, but if you want to use ChipScope and load memories you need a bit more work, its doable but you must regenerate ICON with no BSCAN instance and connect ICON to it manually, and connect your custom cores for ram loading to the other free BSCAN user port. then you can use tcl to download rams and at the same time keep chipscope funtionlity

Antti

Antti Lukats