Chipscope 9.1: Any easy way to rename and regroup signals?

Hi Xilinx Killers,

It is really annoying to rename and group all the signals everytime
when design is modified and new bit file is used to configure the
fpga. Anybody knows how to avoid renaming and regrouping signals in
the analyzer when new bit file is loaded to FPGA?

And one more quick question, how to investigate state_reg of a FSM by
using chipscope? Because the original name of the interesting
state_reg is modified after synthesis, I dont't know which signal I
should investigate now.

For Altera signaltapII, it is very easy to use for on-chip debugging.
And it is very easy to learn too.
Miss those days when using Quartus.

Thanks in advance for your input,

Sics

Re: Chipscope 9.1: Any easy way to rename and regroup signals?

Take a look at .cdc files (they are importd or exported from
Chipscope) They contain a list of signals and aliases that you may
create/edit with a text editor. Thus, you may maintain your signal
list with a text editor and import it after connecting the CipScope
analyzer

You shoulld create some intermediate signal that translates your FSM
states into some binary code you may read with the ChipScope. I never
found any other way, but this one works nice.

Zara

Re: Chipscope 9.1: Any easy way to rename and regroup signals?
Hi Zara,

Thank you for your input. It helps a lot.

Have a nice day,

Sics

Re: Chipscope 9.1: Any easy way to rename and regroup signals?

But how do you name busses?  Naming signals is easy...

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD
Re: Chipscope 9.1: Any easy way to rename and regroup signals?

Sics

Re: Chipscope 9.1: Any easy way to rename and regroup signals?
Yeah, but what a dog's breakfast that file is. If you delete busses, they
persist forever in the file but with zero size.

<rant follows>I'm convinced that whoever wrote chipscope never uses it on a
proper heirachical design. The viewer needs to have the signal name window
justified to the right, otherwise I just see the pathname of the signal I'm
trying to look at. (It's not rocket science, just look at how ModelSIM does
it) Come to think of it, perhaps the GUI guy comes from a place where they
write from right to left? So, you can rename the signals to something
shorter with either an editor on the cpj file or a lot of right-clicks. But
add another bunch of signals and re-import the cdc file: all the edits
disappear. Way to go, GUI writer guy.
The chipscope could be so much better, with a little forethought and effort.
It should be a crime to take such a good idea and hobble it like that. The
underlying engine is pretty good. (But it needs a clock enable input for the
clock. That would probably double it's useful frequency range)

Cheers, Syms.

Re: Chipscope 9.1: Any easy way to rename and regroup signals?

No, it's a pain.. As Symon as pointed out, there's a bunch of flaws in
the Chipscope UI.. It's only if I have to that I ever use
Chipscope.

Ditto.  An interface done right.  You can add extra signals from the
waveform window and then have it recompile and get on with it.  No
faffing around in another separate tool.  Why should I care about the
chipscope core inserter?  Just give me some waveforms.  Grrr.  Sorry,
I'll stop ranting now :-)

Maybe if we *all* shout loudly enough about chipscope it'll get
sorted.

Or Xilinx could open the protocol and at least we could write our own
front end that would work properly....

Cheers,
Martin

--
snipped-for-privacy@trw.com
Re: Chipscope 9.1: Any easy way to rename and regroup signals?

When adding new signals to a Chipscope project, I try to add them at
the end to avoid screwing up the project. That way you can simply
import your new .cdc file into your Chipscope Analyzer project and all
the previous signals will stay intact (and the new signals will
appear). Avoid inserting new signals by moving other signal positions
around, as this will screw up the project.

In order to help you setting up the Chipscope Analyzer project, take a
look at csptool:
http://code.google.com/p/csptool /

It's a little Perl script that regroups buses for you. Might be
overkill if you have a few buses, but if you have tens, it can be very
handy.

You can look at the synthesis report to see how XST encoded the
states. Then I suggest that you create a .tok file to display the name
of the state in the waveform window. Look at \ChipScope_Pro_9_1i\bin\nt
\token\token_sample.tok for an example.

Patrick

Re: Chipscope 9.1: Any easy way to rename and regroup signals?
Hi Patrick,
So I'm still using 8.2, and this isn't the behaviour I see. An import
overwrites any previous edits. Is this a new feature for 9.1?

I downloaded it, sounds interesting, many thanks.

All the best, Syms.

Re: Chipscope 9.1: Any easy way to rename and regroup signals?

I have been using Chipscope since v7 and I think that it's always been
like that. After you load a new bit file, disconnect and reconnect the
JTAG (JTAG chain menu). Chipscope will then discover that the number
of signals changed and a dialog will pop-up asking if you want to
preserve signals names (choose yes). Then you will see new unnamed
signals in your signals list (they won't be in the waveform). Now you
can simply import the new cdc file to retreive the name of these new
signals. The rest of the Analyzer design should stay intact.

Cheers,
Patrick

Re: Chipscope 9.1: Any easy way to rename and regroup signals?

Hi Patrick,
So, I followed your instructions, but at the point where I import the new
cdc file, the signal names _ALL_ revert to the names in the design, even
ones I have renamed. The triggers and busses do remain unchanged, but
signals that have been renamed revert their names. Arse!
This is with 8.2.
Cheers, Syms.

Re: Chipscope 9.1: Any easy way to rename and regroup signals?

Oh, I had misunderstood your problem. Yes the signals names will
revert to the ones in the cdc file...  What is kept is things like
colors, buses you created, triggers... But not the names, sorry about
the confusion! I never ran into that problem because I don't change
the names of the signals. Yet one more simply feature that the
Chipscope GUI should have...

If you really need that feature, you could try to modify the csptool
script to create a "custom cdc import" feature. That would be fairly
involved however because csptool can only parse .cpj files, not .cdc
ones.

Alternatively, you could try to modify the cdc file to only keep the
new signals, and then import this partial cdc file. If you're lucky it
will work...

Patrick

Re: Chipscope 9.1: Any easy way to rename and regroup signals?
Hi Patrick,
Thanks for your reply, I'm glad that we see the same behaviour. I thought I
was missing out on something!
Actually, this might not be too bad, the cdc file is pretty obvious, and it
would be easy to remove the 'pathname' of the instance with a perl script.
Even though it wouldn't keep renamed signals, at least I could reduce the
length of the names to something more manageable. If I get around to bashing
one out, I'll post it.
Thanks again, Syms.

Re: Chipscope 9.1: Any easy way to rename and regroup signals?

Hi Patrick,
How do I download your script source code?

At csptool:http://code.google.com/p/csptool/ I couldn't fine any
download files.

Thank you.

Weng

Re: Chipscope 9.1: Any easy way to rename and regroup signals?

http://code.google.com/p/csptool/source
Click on "Subversion repository". Then browse to \trunk\csptool.pl

Alternatively, I made an executable available (long overdue):
http://csptool.googlecode.com/files/csptool.zip

Thanks for your interest

Patrick.

Site Timeline