Cascading of many stages of DCM...

Hi, group:

I am using a DCM to convert 40MHz to 36Mhz...now I need 12/4/1MHz clocks also... May I simply cascade a three DCMs to 36MHz (CLKDV_DIVIDE = 3/12/36) or three DCMs using Multiply/Division (violates CLKOUT_FREQ_FX_LF_Min)?

Will two DCMs cascaded together work well? In one simulation I found the second DCM complained the previous stage's skew is greater than 1ns...

How may I do with my situation?

Thanks for your advice. Kelvin

Reply to
kelvin8157

three

The biggest problem may be a violation of the DCM's input jitter spec. A given DCM's output jitter is due to its intrinsic jitter and its input jitter. I believe that you can safely cascade two, but not three DCM's -- even if the input jitter to the first DCM is zero. You'll have to check the data sheet and also consider your clock source jitter. If the jitter applied to a DCM input is too high then it will not lock.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

three

Kelvin,

You could run all the 36/12/4/1 MHz stuff off the 36 MHz clock and create clock enables for the 12/4/1 MHz logic. This would remove any potential problems transferring data between these different clock domains.

Hope this helps,

Nial Stewart

------------------------------------------------ Nial Stewart Developments Ltd FPGA and High Speed Digital Design Cyclone based 'Easy PCI' proto board

Nial Stewart

Yeah, yours is the better approach...However I am converting an ASIC design into FPGA... there are a few megabytes of source codes...sigh...that is the problem...

Reply to
kelvin8157

design

If you are familiar with any of the scripting languages you should be able to write something which looks for the lower clocks, changes them to the 36Mhz clock and inserts a pair of lines with the relevant clock enable.

It might be a good idea to get it to display what it's done and get you to confirm it, or add comments above every changed line with an easily found search string so you can quickly check what it's done.

Give it a _thorough_ visial inspection and make sure it's _well_ simulated to check you haven't messed up.

Nial