CardBus prototype in FPGA

Dear newsgroup,

I am quite new to FPGAs but experienced enough in digital ASIC design (VHDL,
Verilog & stuff). Recently, we encountered some problems with the selection of
the best FPGA for a design we are attempting.
The design in question is a custom CardBus module, for which we are considering
a Cyclone FPGA from Altera. The functionality of the module is not too complex.
Beside the bus-related requirements themselves (CIS, ConfigSpace), we also need
a FIFO. The bigger the FIFO, the better. Is Cyclone an appropriate choice for
this application, or are there better solutions out there?
Another issue is the time necessary for the FPGA to load its configuration,
which can be as high as a couple of seconds. As far as I read in an earlier
discussion on the newsgroup, this might be a big problem since the system
software will power down the socket after seeing that the card does not respond
within a short interval after insertion (less than 1 sec). Is there any reliable
solution to this problem?
If not, I am afraid the only choice is to try with the flash-based FPGAs from
Actel, which does not come in too handy. I don't like the idea of paying for the
Actel software, which is not even that good like ISE or Quartus. And the Actel
parts seem to be much too expensive and difficult to program.

Looking forward to any suggestion,

Michael

Re: CardBus prototype in FPGA

(VHDL,
selection of
considering
complex.
need
for

It depends entirely on the requirements of the FIFO, such as size, speed,
latency, cost, component size, etc.

configuration,
earlier
respond
reliable

Smaller FPGAs normally load their configuration faster, although I don't
have figures for any particular FPGAs.  You might also consider using a PLD
in the mixture, holding critical functions alive until the FPGA comes on
line.

from
for the
Actel

Re: CardBus prototype in FPGA

I am sure you could implement this in many different
devices.  Your job is to pick the best one for your
design.

PCI 2.3, using 3.3v I/O, is very similar to Cardbus.
For example, you can use the Xilinx PCI LogiCORE to
implement a Cardbus design.  I have seen it done.

A significant difference between Cardbus and PCI is
that PCI provides a 100 ms time window for you to get
the device in order before reset deasserts, and then
some additional time (large number of cycles) before
the first allowed configuration access.  Cardbus
does not provide as much time.

Your concern is legitimate, however you can certainly
take steps to minimize any potential issue.  Use a
parallel configuration mode if available, and in any
case use a high configuration clock rate.  Use an FPGA
with a small bitstream, like a 2s30.  You can implement
the Xilinx PCI LogiCORE in a 2s30, it has embedded memory
with which you could implement a FIFO.

If you want to write your own Cardbus interface, you might
consider usinig a moderate sized CPLD, instead of an FPGA,
but in this case you'll probably end up with an external
memory device to serve as your FIFO.

Eric

Re: CardBus prototype in FPGA
mike writes

You should look at Lattice XPGA - this is an EECMOS/SRAM device - boots up
<100us, no external prom needed - free tools -
LSC SFAE
New York/New Jersey
631-874-4968 fax 631-874-4977
snipped-for-privacy@latticesemi.com