Can I use RocketIO to generate pulse edge with very high precision?

Hi, I need to generate a 1-bit signal with very high resolution on the position of the edges. I would need about 2 to 3GHz resolution. It is quite hard to have a 3Ghz clock nowadays, so I wonder if the RockedIO could be used for that.

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
David

You can use RocketIO. In Virtex-IIPro it can handle 3.125 Gbps, which means a ~320 ps bit time. Just run the MGT with a 156.25 MHz Fref, and apply the appropriate data pattern on the parallel ( 10 or 20-bit) side. In Virtex-IIProX you can go more than 3 times faster... Peter Alfke

Reply to
Peter Alfke

Hi, thanks for the reply, this looks very interesting. I didn't know you could control all the bits going out of the rocketIO, I thought it was made to generate some specific serial protocol pattern. Does Xilinx have an eval board for that? I really like the xilinx type of eval. board, such as the ones for virtexIIpro:

They are really simple with the prototype area easiliy accessible. However, they say: ''The AFX board should NOT be used when designing with or characterizing RocketIO? transceivers''

I could only find something here:

...but it doesn't look too appealing to me.

Regards, David

Reply to
David

David,

The reason for the disclaimer is that some of these ML series boards are intended to show off other features, and we did not follow our own rules when bypassing, routing, and in general, supporting the MGT signals as the board wasn't intended for that purpose.

The MGT works, and the board would be useful for what you want, as all you care about here is generating an output!

Getting an error free channel at 3.125 Gbs over the longest XAUI backplane is definitely not supported by those boards that state so, but for basic MGT operation, they work just fine.

If you bypass the 8B10B codec, then you are responsible for all the bits, which is very nice to do what you want.

Aust> Hi,

Austin Lesea