Can Altera Cyclone device's clock input directly used as CLK with PLL?

Hi all,

I have a Altera Cyclone chip which is input by a 50MHz osc. I want to use this 50MHz clock directly without PLL. This means I just use a clk as input and assign the PIN GCLK to clk.

Is it OK?

Thanks in advance.

ABAI

Reply to
Binary

No problem.. Using PLL is optional.. If you have a doubt yet, use PLL with 1x, 1 div. setting. (P.S In subject.. with-> without.. Am I right?)

Reply to
eou4

Just make sure that you tie the osc to one of the clock pins that drives into the global clock network.

Reply to
Rob

Yes, this will work fine (it is what I did in my project). Be sure, though, that you properly handle the PLL pins. In my design, I tied both GNDA_PLL pins to ground and the VCCA_PLL pint to 1.5V with a .001uF capacitor. I believe I got the pinning information from the datasheet.

Reply to
Noway2