Building custom ASIC solutions

Hi All,

Not sure if this is the right forum ... please point me if otherwise.

I am a hobbyist and making my first foray into building custom
hardware. I am interested in building my own VoIP device say using a
Broadcom chip
http://www.broadcom.com/products/Enterprise-Small-Office/IP-Phone-Products/BCM1112

As a total novice in this area, I would appreciate it if one could tell
me how to to go about building a device (step-by-step)?
1) Raw material required - PCBs, components, etc.
2) How to combine them correctly?
3) Expertise - although I am a novice, I am always willing to read up,
or is it that an expert is definitely required

Basically, I am unhappy about the current state of hardware, where I
have to pay for separate devices for every small feature I need.

Thanks.

Re: Building custom ASIC solutions

Make sure you get the datasheet with all register/timeing details etc. Before
even considering the chip. Broadcom have required NDA previously.
You should make sure you are aware of it's implications. This caused some
trouble writeing drivers for oss systems.

The chip is BGA  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BGA ) which is not novice
friendly package at all. You will need to heat it to ca 180 °C and then
heat it to 230 °C (?) for like 20s. This is done with IR heat asfair.
Converted kitchen ovens are reported to be useful too ;)

Get a electric cad program. If you want it free use gschem/pcb.
To have the pcb made you need to have the gerber files (.gbr).

Read said datasheets and consider what you want into your "box".
Pay attention to grounding, decoupling, impedance, termination, power
circuitry. They will cause trouble anytime you forget them ;)

It will happen as long as people won't do like you maybe will ;)

Re: Building custom ASIC solutions
Thanks a lot for the reply. I am learning already ... :)

Will start out modest as suggested to get a hang of things.

--

Re: Building custom ASIC solutions

http://www.broadcom.com/products/Enterprise-Small-Office/IP-Phone-Products/BCM1112

You might want to set your sights a little lower, initially.  Start with
some simple schematics you draw and then breadboard and debug.  Work to
more complexity and then begin to fab some simple PCBs.  Learn soldering
with simple components first before you try expensive parts--it is not as
simple as it seems, especially for small closely spaced leads.  BGAs are a
whole different story as far as soldering.

Do you program?  SW will be a major component of your finished design.

    ~Dave~

Re: Building custom ASIC solutions
Are there any starter kits out there to begin with?

I do do SW, but hope that I can run Linux on it with little or no
modifications.

--

Re: Building custom ASIC solutions

This is the wrong group for this discussion.  But I'm not sure which is
the right group--anyone?  comp.arch.embedded perhaps.

    ~Dave~

Site Timeline