Building custom ASIC solutions

Hi All,

Not sure if this is the right forum ... please point me if otherwise.

I am a hobbyist and making my first foray into building custom hardware. I am interested in building my own VoIP device say using a Broadcom chip

As a total novice in this area, I would appreciate it if one could tell me how to to go about building a device (step-by-step)?

1) Raw material required - PCBs, components, etc. 2) How to combine them correctly? 3) Expertise - although I am a novice, I am always willing to read up, or is it that an expert is definitely required

Basically, I am unhappy about the current state of hardware, where I have to pay for separate devices for every small feature I need.

Thanks.

Reply to
be.geek

Make sure you get the datasheet with all register/timeing details etc. Before even considering the chip. Broadcom have required NDA previously. You should make sure you are aware of it's implications. This caused some trouble writeing drivers for oss systems.

The chip is BGA

which is not novice friendly package at all. You will need to heat it to ca 180 °C and then heat it to 230 °C (?) for like 20s. This is done with IR heat asfair. Converted kitchen ovens are reported to be useful too ;)

Get a electric cad program. If you want it free use gschem/pcb. To have the pcb made you need to have the gerber files (.gbr).

Read said datasheets and consider what you want into your "box". Pay attention to grounding, decoupling, impedance, termination, power circuitry. They will cause trouble anytime you forget them ;)

It will happen as long as people won't do like you maybe will ;)

Reply to
pbdelete

Thanks a lot for the reply. I am learning already ... :)

Will start out modest as suggested to get a hang of things.

--
pbdelete@spamnuke.ludd.luthdelete.se.invalid wrote:
> be.geek@gmail.com wrote:
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
be.geek

Are there any starter kits out there to begin with?

I do do SW, but hope that I can run Linux on it with little or no modifications.

--
Dave wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 17:55:53 -0700, be.geek wrote:
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
be.geek

You might want to set your sights a little lower, initially. Start with some simple schematics you draw and then breadboard and debug. Work to more complexity and then begin to fab some simple PCBs. Learn soldering with simple components first before you try expensive parts--it is not as simple as it seems, especially for small closely spaced leads. BGAs are a whole different story as far as soldering.

Do you program? SW will be a major component of your finished design.

~Dave~

Reply to
Dave

This is the wrong group for this discussion. But I'm not sure which is the right group--anyone? comp.arch.embedded perhaps.

~Dave~

Reply to
Dave