book recommendation for self study in digital logic design

Hi,

I am looking for a self study book above the basic introductory level of digital logic design. Looking into what text books are used for senior level courses at Universities I found the two books:

"Computer Organization and Design" by David A. Patterson, John L. Hennessy "Structured Computer Organization" by Andrew S. Tanenbaum

I was reading the comments on amazon.com and it sounds like the Patterson/Hennessy book is THE book to read for Computer architecture, but has a lot of editorial flaws. On the other hand, one comment about the Tannenbaum book sounds like it is better written to suite as an introductory than the Patterson/Hennessy one. Unfortunately there is only a brief table of content available for the Tannenbaum book to see more in depth what is covered in it.

What I am looking for is an easy to read book, with plenty of exercises to get me some hands on experience in the design of digital logic.

I would appreciate any recommendation about which book is better for self study.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Guenter

Reply to
Guenter

Those aren't digital logic books, those are computer architecture books. For my first course in logic design I used "Fundamentals of Logic Design" by Roth. For a mix of logic design and HDL, "Advanced Digital Design with the Verilog HDL" by Ciletti is quite good, but more advanced. I personally wanted to read "Digital Design: Principles and Practices" by Wakerly, which got good reviews but may be on the advanced side of things.

---Matthew Hicks

Reply to
Matthew Hicks

Mhh, the Ciletti book looks good. What I am struggling with is, once done with simple building blocks, how to put them together in a whole design.

I found another book along that line:

"Advanced Digital Logic Design Using Verilog, State Machines, and Synthesis for FPGA's" by Sunggu Lee

Will see whether I can find some more information about it.

Guenter

Reply to
Guenter

After you learn the basics, i.e. read the books on logic design and on an HDL, it's time to have some fun. Get an FPGA development board and find a problem to solve or a cool project to work on. Start simple and build up to complex things. It may take a while until your projects become "interesting" but once you get going, "the world is your oyster."

---Matthew Hicks

Reply to
Matthew Hicks