Bitfile checking

Assuming a scenario that I have a bit file built for a particular FPGA, but i don't have a that FPGA device to download it to, Is there a way to check it works on that particular FPGA?

Thanks in advance Water

Reply to
Walters

no

Reply to
Antti

I think he can do it with HTVS*. You just check that it looks good on paper, then ship it.

  • Hubble Telescope Verification System.
Reply to
MikeShepherd564

I'm not sure that I would answer no to this universally.

The bitstream format should enable you to determine if was made for a Xilinx, Altera or Lattice device. In the case of Xilinx devices, you should also be able to determine what family and die it was intended for, but not the package, by parsing the bitstream and looking for specific fields. Even, the bitstream file size itself should be a good indicator of what device it should work.

Now, whether or not it actually works is a completely different question.

Ed McGettigan

-- Xilinx Inc.

Reply to
Ed McGettigan

Ed the OP wanted to VERIFY device operation using bitstream and no device.

so he wants a SIMULATOR that can load bistream ;) those are not generically available ASFAIK

Antti

Reply to
Antti

Antti,

If I was a lawyer I would respond with "assuming facts not in evidence". Was there another thread on this subject that I missed?

Ed McGettigan

-- Xilinx Inc.

Reply to
Ed McGettigan

LOL, eh yes it depends on "it works" ...

if we assume a bitstream for a given FPGA always works on the given FPGA then its sufficient to look file header if we assume "it works" as it functions as expected, then well we most certainly need the FPGA and target system and load the bitstream

but a FPGA BITFILE simulator would be funny toy ;)

Antti

Reply to
Antti