Best price per I/O

I'm looking into a crosspoint switching application where it appears FPGA's are the best choice even though I won't use much of the internals. What I'm looking for is the best price per I/O pin of relatively fast parts. Newer releases of FPGA seem to target better price per logic cell rather than I/O so I've already noticed that from Xilinx I can do better with Spartan 2e than Spartan 3 in terms of cost per I/O pin. Obviously smaller parts in each family also giver better price per I/O because there are more I/O's per logic cell. Any suggestions for a better price would be appreciated.

Also the reason I'm not currently looking at CPLD's is that the application requires soft upload and I don't want parts with limited programming cycle life (EPROM or FLASH based).

256 I/O's per part is a good match for the design although even at this level I will need multiple parts. Right now I'm more interested in what family to use for the best price per I/O and then I'll pick the device size that fits best.
Reply to
Gabor Szakacs

Hi Gabor,

You may want to consider the Altera Cyclone EP1C4 device. This device uses a staggered pad ring to deliver more I/Os (and consequently fewer LEs) in a given die size than the other Cyclone members. The device is available in

324- and 400-pin FBGA packages giving you 249 and 301 user I/Os to work with respectively. I know nothing about pricing beyond what is on our main website ($7.50 based on 250K unit volumes in 2004 time frame) -- I'd suggest you contact an Altera distributer or sales rep to investigate cost.

Go to

for more details on the Cyclone family.

Regards,

Paul Leventis Altera Corp.

Reply to
Paul Leventis (at home)

Given your application, you may want to review a paper presented at the 2003 FCCM conference:

A High I/O Reconfigurable Crossbar Switch

Steve Young, Peter Alfke, ColmFewer, Scott McMillan, Brandon Blodget, and Delon Levi

The procedings are available through the IEEE, but maybe you can get a copy directly from the authors, who are all at Xilinx. Peter Alfke is a regular on this news group.

Philip Freidin Fliptronics

Reply to
Philip Freidin

The Spartan 3 also uses a staggered IO ring.

on page 4 of 5 lists all of the package IO combinations.

For the 320 and 456 pin packages, we have 221, and 333 IOs. Prices ranges from $6.50 to $12 in large qty right now (2004).

Austin

Reply to
Austin Lesea