Avnet Xilinx Virtex-II Pro Development Board

System : Win XP (Fresh install)

Read the user's guide multiple times to ensure correct jumper settings. The board is configured for SelectMAP programming mode JP8 shunted The board is configed in master-serial mode for PROM programming of SPARTAN bridge : JP9 open Other jumpers have default values, triple checked

The S1 and S2 dipswitches : S1 : all on off ... CF card loads position 0 normally S2 : all on off as described in user guide

inserted the card into 32bit PCI slot for normal PCI use at present time

booted PC followed driver installation instructions, windriver6.inf installed by =>

wdreg -inf "location of inf file" install then copied avpci...inf file to WINDOWS/INF directory then rebooted.

Accessed PCI Utility : no board connected

Tried to manually install the avpci driver, still nothing detected ... Checked PCI slots, and no extra entries in ID list of device wether or not the device is connected to the bus

Has somebody experienced this problem ? Could it be the PROM not longer contains the config file for the bridge or should i look for answers in another direction

Thx in advance,

Paolo

Reply to
Mindroad

Paolo,

As far as I understand, the board comes with the Spartan loaded with the "pass-thru" bit file. This allows the board to be tested/used without plugging it into a PCI slot. So, till you are able to load the bridge program onto the spartan, the board will not be seen by the PC. I have placed an order for a JTAG4 cable, but haven't received it yet. Plan to try it again after i am able to program the spartan.

-Sirish

SPARTAN

Reply to
Sirish

Sirish,

I sucessfully programmed the Spartan with Parallel IV cable with the bridge, i'm sorry to have bothered you with this question, since within 4h i found a manual describing what u said, still thanks a lot for replying.

I encountered some problems downloading the pci bridge design though, at first the data transfer rate over the cable was set at 5 MHz, stopping the download process and crashing my PC, when I had put it on 2.5 MHz it still didn't worked, eventually i have put it on 200 KHz and this worked just fine. iMPACT allows u to set the rate.

Good luck to you, and thanks for the help ! Greetings,

Paolo

"Sirish" schreef in bericht news:coi6h4$1ep$ snipped-for-privacy@nntp.msstate.edu...

Plan

=>

not

or

Reply to
Mindroad

Paolo,

Great to hear about your success! I will be getting my cable tomorrow and hope to start using the board as soon as I am able to program the Spartan.

Regarding the speed setting, when set at 5MHz transfer rate, the cable will try to use ECP mode of the parallel port. Check your PC's BIOS setting to see if it is set to ECP. Most systems are set at SPP or EPP by default. This is just a guess and I can not say for sure that this will be the only problem, especially since I haven't laid my hands on the cable yet.

regards, Sirish

bridge,

Sirish