AVNET Xilinx Spartan3 board, example problem

Hi all,

I am Monica from Germany,I am new to FPGA programming.I have very little experience with Altera cyclone FPGA development and Quartus software.I dont have any experience with Xilinx tools.Now our company want to try Xilinx because xilinx offers J.83 Annex A/C Modulator QAM IP core.

We have received a AVNET Xilinx Spartan3 board with xc3s1500 FPGA.Our company wants me to test the board with a sample program.But I am having hard time to test the board.The examples(Hello World!) are for EDK software.But we dont have EDK software.We just want to download a sample project and see "Hello World!" on screen.

So I tried to use impact software which came with free ISE webpack and tried to download "download.bit",it says that "download.msk" doesnt exist.

then I tried to download "system.bit" it says that "programmed sucessfully" but I dont observe any "hello world" on console.

Am I missing something?Is this approach not correct?Do we really need EDK software?

Please help me regarding this problem.If I have to read any documentation please provide pointers.

Thanks in advance. Monica DSouza, Germany

Reply to
Monica

"Monica" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

hi Monica

system.bit is only FPGA part of the design and does not contain the app software in it, so there would be no 'hello'

try the download.bit and uncheck 'verify' then it will program ok

if you want to use Xilinx Microblaze then yes you need EDK license what is $495 USD

Antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats

Thanks Antti,

It works.

We dont need EDK for this project because we are not using any processor but we need ISE full software.So we have ordered ISE software instead of EDK.

Thanks for the help. Monica

Reply to
Monica