Attempts to run Quartus Web Edition in linux (wine)

Hello,

Since my budget as a student doesn't really cover buying a full version of Quartus for linux for 2000$ I've been trying to get the Web Edition to run in wine.

I want to go all the way from verilog-file to a .rbf-file which the file that I download to the fpga (a Pluto-II board from fpga4fun.com). In windows I can run the command 'quartus_sh.exe --flow compile' to do this. That command apperently runs the three programs 'quarts_map','quartus_fit' and 'quartus_asm'.

In wine I can get quartus_map and quartus_asm to work. But not quartus_fit. Here are the last lines from it:

|Info: Finished moving registers into I/Os, LUTs, DSP and RAM blocks |Info: Finished register packing | |abnormal program termination

My first question is if anyone have succeeded running Quartus WE under wine before? The version I run is 4.1.

My other idea might be totaly wrong since I'm a noob and havn't really understood all the steps involed in the compile process (like what exactly the synthesis does and when you get the real file that you can run in the fpga etc.)

But what I was wondering is if there are any other programs that can perform the steps that quartus_fit does. I have understood that you need Alteras own software to create the final bit-files that you load into an altera fpga. But I was thinking that since quartus_asm is running fine, maybe I can create the under files using some other software, like iverilog or something. Or is the fit-step also part of the things that is specific to altera?

Thanks Daniel Forchheimer

Reply to
Daniel Forchheimer