Async FIFO coregen wizard

I have tried to instantiate the Asynchronous FIFO core (v6) from Coregen, and it's been giving me trouble. First, I can't get it to produce a FIFO using distributed RAM (I wanted a 31-deep FIFO). When I try, it tells me there is a block RAM in the usage summary. If I try to open the core again after it's generated, it sometimes just beeps and exits (no error messages at all), sometimes it goes into the coregen wizard with "Block RAM" selected and the FIFO depth some enormous value like 65536.

I am using ISE 6.3.03i, with the latest IP core updates installed.

If it was a synch. FIFO, I have my own core, but I need an Async FIFO to cross clock domains and I dont want to waste a BRAM site.

-Jim

Reply to
Jim George

Jim-

We have often dealt with the same issue. You can have distributed Ram selected, but it still uses block ram. Our solution has been to always click the dist ram button before generating - even if it is already selected. Also always check "view core footprint" to see if it used block ram or dist ram. If block ram, try again. Silly, but this issue has been there since at least version 4, and is still there in v6.1. Luckily you only have to get it to generate properly once...

Jason Daughenbaugh

fpgaguy