Asteroids Deluxe in an FPGA

Asteroids Deluxe, the latest release at

for your general amusement.

VHDL source code available for download, including vector to raster scan convertor and POKEY audio core.

Note, this design using the T65 core from Opencores, but with a few bug fixes that are needed for the game to run. These haven't been pushed back into the Opencores release yet.

Cheers,

MikeJ

Reply to
MikeJ

That's dead impressive Mike - a pity that you can't make them up and sell them.

Reply to
phil

Hi Mike!

VERY nice! What has peeked my interest is the POKEY core. I've not had a chance to study the VHDL for it (got to get to work!), but did you write the core specifically for AstDX, or as a general core? I would be most interested in trying to put this core into a CPLD and plug it into a real POKEY socket - more importantly, using 4 together in one chip for the likes of Star Wars and Major Havoc (etc). I presume the random number generator readback is in there somewhere? I'll have a printout and a study on in tonight..... :-)

Also, with these designs, what's the cost of the chip they fit into? I read about Pacman using a Virtex 300? Does AstDX use that as well?

Yours, Mark.

MikeJ wrote:

Reply to
Mark (UK)

Hi!

This may be interesting to FPGA arcade gamers too:

Greetings, Ulrich

"Mark (UK)" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:cbbfrh$6n$ snipped-for-privacy@sparta.btinternet.com...

general

back

Reply to
Ulrich Kloidt

Hi!

That Nexar board they use looks REALLY pretty, but I can feel my wallet shaking when I think about the price!!

Yours, Mark.

Ulrich Kloidt wrote:

Reply to
Mark (UK)