Artix-7 boards

Has anyone had any experience of using these :

They aren't in stock yet but maybe some have been shipped. I'm looking for comments on them for use with novice FPGA users. Anything you have to say may be helpful as I'm looking to buy a few of them.

Also if anyone knows of a low cost spartan7 board that may hit the market very soon I'd welcome the info.

thanks

--
john

=========================
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
john

No experience with that board, however I have had experience with the Artix-7 35T. It's basically a 50T nobbled in software. The way Xilinx does this leaves the entire 50T fabric available, but limits the number of each fabric component you can use. This results in a device that can easily work with a 100% "full" design, since it's the equivalent of a 70% full 50T. Either this device (smaller Artix-7 series) or Spartan-7 requires Vivado software. ISE does not support them.

From the description it looks like the board has very little external RAM, both considering total storage capacity and bandwidth. A single 8-bit wide DDR3 memory would have more of both, at least for streaming data like video. In general I use the peripherals of a board to help me decide if I can use it more than the FPGA itself. If you're not interested in video processing, it's probably OK.

--
Gabor
Reply to

Hi Gabor

Thanks for the info - yes I'm looking at them specifically because they work with Vivado.

I don't need a lot of resources as their use will be to prototype cpu components (stacks, control paths etc) Once developed the components will be integrated on a much more capable system.

As long as they have enough resources to do at least one cpu function comfortably they should do the job I need I think.

There are no complex or high bandwidth full apps it has to run. Does all that seem reasonable?

--
john