Article about using Non-Project Mode

Hi!
During the discussion about "Test Driven Design?" I promised to write a paper about Non-Project Mode and how it helps with testing.
The problem is that I have never written any article. Moreover, English is not my native language.
I kindly ask you to review the article and help me to improve it. It is in Google docs and leaving comments right in the document is allowed. You also can comment it here if it is more convenient for you.
Thanks.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/17LgQjxYdh8Dxy4NdFWWNYQ7up8MFNG4GQdPfv3s5LzI/edit?usp=sharing

Re: Article about using Non-Project Mode
To comment a phrase in the document, you just select it and click "comment icon" which appears at the end if the line.

Re: Article about using Non-Project Mode

Thanks.  I'm in the sim phase on my project right now but when I get back into PAR I'm going to check this out.

Re: Article about using Non-Project Mode

I have closed access to the draft of the article because I shared it
for some time just to get some reviews and suggestions.

I'll publish the article as soon as it is reviewed by my employer.

Kevin, if you have an Google account you can request access to the draft and I'll grant it to you.

Re: Article about using Non-Project Mode

It looked fine to me.  It did suffer slightly from falling into the
strangely common trap of assuming FPGA=Xilinx, so maybe that should be
signposted up front a bit more.

(It's possible to do similar things with Altera but I think the article
would need too much restructuring to account for different ways of doing
things.  I'm not familiar enough with Lattice or Microsemi to comment on
those toolchains)

Theo

Re: Article about using Non-Project Mode

Thank you for your response.

On one hand, I tried not to make the article too Xilinx-specific because I
believe that other tool chains have the same problems and that they likely
to have similar modes of operation. On the other hand, I do not have non-Xi
linx experience to make any specific advice for other toolchains. I see tha
t I need to rework the beginning of the paper to make it clear.

Re: Article about using Non-Project Mode

I'd avoid trying to be too generic.  I've set up Makefile based flows
under both Xilinx (ISE) and Altera Quartus and they have nothing to do
with one another.  Totally different paradigms, problems, syntaxes, etc.

As near as I was able to tell while you had that document publicly
available, you're trying to describe how to a non-project flow under
Vivado at this current point in time.  That's valuable and helpful.  If
you haven't made it public again about a month from how I'll probably
start harassing you for a copy by email.  Better to do that well than to
half-ass a generic document that almost by definition can't be right.

Email address domain is currently out of order.  See above to fix.

Re: Article about using Non-Project Mode
I need to accomplish several formal steps before publishing it.
It uses some code I've written on my workplace and, therefore, I must obey corporate rules of publishing articles. As soon as I get the article reviewed by my boss and colleagues, I'll try to publish it on fpgarelated.com and may be somewhere else.

Re: Article about using Non-Project Mode
and I'll grant it to you.

Ilya,
Thanks for the document.  You inspired me to use non-project mode and now t
hat I have a script for one of my projects I can just keep reusing it.  The
 only thing I'd say about your document is that I think it had some Windows
-specific stuff which wasn't obvious to me at first.

There is also a brief intro to non-project mode in the Vivado Quick Referen
ce:

http://tinyurl.com/yb9d8y8d

Re: Article about using Non-Project Mode
t and I'll grant it to you.
 that I have a script for one of my projects I can just keep reusing it.  T
he only thing I'd say about your document is that I think it had some Windo
ws-specific stuff which wasn't obvious to me at first.
ence:

It's finally published on edn.com ! http://tinyurl.com/y9ekp7lf
Thanks a lot to anyone who have helped me to improve the article.

Kevin, I'm so glad that I inspired you!
In fact, it was a goal of the article to encourage more people to use this
mode, so that IDE developers pay more attention to this way of managing pro
jects.

I hope that some inconvenience of using IPs in this mode will not discourag
e you. :)
I am planning to write another article devoted to this problem. I hope I wi
ll find time for doing some research on this matter and for writing article
.

Re: Article about using Non-Project Mode

Nice :)

I should probably have a play some time and try and do similar for Altera
tools.  It's fairly simple - the project settings output by Quartus are
'just tcl', so in theory it should be drivable from a tcl script.
At the moment we build from a Makefile but we still have a nominal project
with the tcl settings.

I was pleasantly surprised to discover that there's a variety of recipes for
putting Quartus inside Docker images, so it looks like there's quite a bit
of interest in scripted builds.

(My interest here is running the Altera JTAG stack inside Docker, so it's
easier to plug [lots of] FPGAs into the test environment without them
conflicting.  We already do this, but Docker will help cleaning up better)

Theo

Re: Article about using Non-Project Mode

Don't forget to mention my article in yours one :)

Site Timeline