Are there more I/O pins than I/O blocks?

Number of bonded IOBs: 144 out of 142 101%

There are still quite a few I/O pins left on my dev board.

I'm puzzled that it seems I can use any I/O pins but less than all of them at the same time.

Is this the case or am I missing something fundamental?

Thanks in advance,

K.

Command Line : map -p XC2S300E-pq208-6 -cm area -k 4 -c 100 -tx off Target Device : x2s300e Target Package : pq208 Target Speed : -6 Mapper Version : spartan2e -- $Revision: 1.58 $ Mapped Date : Fri Oct 31 01:02:35 2003

Reply to
kryten_droid

There are four dedicated clock pins.

Regrads, Andras Tantos

Reply to
Andras Tantos

I think you will find that you have over committed the pinout of the device. For some reason this isn't always classified as a fatal error :-)

Simon

Reply to
Simon Peacock

device.

Checked out the chip and there are only 146 I/O pins.

Although my user config file only said that only 123 were used, the design still had more I/O blocks than the device could bond to pins.

So even though the design could theoretically fit, if the UCF was considered, the place-and router would reject the design.

D'oh!

So I removed a load of I/O that was just redundant test signals and the software has compiled and fitted the design.

Reply to
kryten_droid

I assume its still correct.. but there have often been FPGA's which are pin bound.. that is there are more I/O's internally than there are pins.. that's why the same device fits into a TQ144 and a TQ208 with no free pins.

Simon

Reply to
Simon Peacock