Anybody got Microsemi/Actel Libero SoC 11.0 SP1 to work on linux?

Hi,

Installation of 11.0Beta (the first complete download of Libero SoC 11.0) i s ok and runs. When downloading and applying the SPA patch or SP1 patch, li bero_bin exits with a missing symbol in a dynamic library.

I note that in my installation a binary diff between the libero_bin of the various patch levels does not indicate a change. There is, however, a chang e in one of the dynamic libraries, libappipc.so, included with Libero SoC 1

1.0. Most of the api changes were pure types, so I binary-patched the liber o_bin file myself and managed to get Libero SoC SP1 to run a bit longer. In the end I had to give up on a function which had had an extra argument add ed in SP1.

Microsemi seems to only support RHEL 5.4 and I use Debian Sid. I managed to get Libero 10.1 and the initial 11.0Beta running, so it is not that it doe sn't run on Debian. I think Microsemi has forgotten to include changes to l ibero_bin in their SPA and SP1 patches, but before I trigger a support case on an unsupported operating system, I wanted to see if anybody here has Li bero SoC up and running on Linux.

--
Svenn
Reply to

Took the hassle to download a CentOS 5.6 image from virtualboxes.org and install Libero SoC 11Beta and upgrade to SP1 inside that virtualbox. First thing I noted was that 'patch' did not complain about an invalid RTP file when patching to SP1.

Then I packed the whole Libero_v11Beta directory and transferred it to Debian.

Works.

Need to note that Libero SoC is very much hardwired to RHEL in some script files in Libero/bin and Synplify/bin, but it is possible to fix this in an editor.

--
Svenn
Reply to

install Libero SoC 11Beta and upgrade to SP1 inside that virtualbox. First thing I noted was that 'patch' did not complain about an invalid RTP file when patching to SP1.

files in Libero/bin and Synplify/bin, but it is possible to fix this in an editor.

Interesting, that was the same method I used to get Precision installed on my Gentoo box. Many tools and updates later I gave up and like you installed CentOS. If you want to use EDA tools under Linux than you can save yourself a lot of hacking by using one of the Redhat clones. This is no guarantee everything will work fine, I had to yum libXext, libXtst, libXft and ncurses just to get the Modelsim DE installer to run under Centos 6.1 but at least the procedure was simple and all other tools (so far) installed without an issue.

Thanks for the info,

Hans

HT-Lab

To just know a bit more what possibly went wrong, I installed Beta, SPA and SP1 into separate directories. Then I binary-diffed the libero_bin files a nd found that interface to the dynamic library libappipc.so had changed fro m Beta to SPA. Since the difference in three of four cases were just intege r arguments changing to bool arguments, I could replace the letter in hexed it, and SPB would run up until creating the design. Then the fourth differe nce would fail as the interface to the dynamic library had gotten one more argument. I would not try to hack that in hexedit. (I had the sw SP1 runnin g from CentOS anyway) I concluded that the RTPatch thing which Microsemi us es to upgrade the java-driven original install failed when run on Debian. R TPatch is a commercial binary patch app, and Microsemi is still using versi on 6 while the company offers version 10.

I tried to run RTpatch on command line to try to learn more, but without mu ch documentation, I could not get any deeper into the problem. Installing v irtualbox and CentOS VDI and then Libero SoC Sp1 on top of that, took less time than I wasted on my investigations into direct installation and upgrad e.

A bigger problem is that FlashPro4 is not supported on Linux, but I guess t hat is what we have virtualbox for.

--
Svenn
Reply to