Any good reference works on serial buses?

Hi all,

I would like to understand and experiment with serial buses and protocols inside an FPGA (like AXI). Is there any reference work that you can recommend?

Regards,

Jurgen

Reply to
chthon

Asynchronous and SPI are dead easy -- any UART data sheet will pretty much give you all you need to know for asynchronous, and the data sheet for any SPI block in a microcontroller will give you what you need for SPI.

I2C is harder, but can be fairly easily bit-banged in a microprocessor, if you don't mind going slow.

CAN is harder yet -- you're into "buying IP is better" territory, unless you have some serious sales volume. Ditto USB, although I know of some bit-banged USB examples on microprocessors (bit-banging USB is kind of my personal gold standard for easy -- if a hobbyist can bit-bang it, then it should be easy for you, unless they're ignoring all sorts of corners in the "real" spec).

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services