Annoying

Hi all,

Am I the only one who finds the digital magazine subscription of Xcell Journal very annoying? Is there a place where I can download the new editions as a pdf-file?

Thanks and Regards, Christian, Denmark

Reply to
Christian Obel

Hi all,

Am I the only one who finds the digital magazine subscription of Xcell Journal very annoying? Is there a place where I can download the new editions as a pdf-file?

Thanks and Regards, Christian, Denmark

Reply to
Christian Obel

DXC=702=mT7?`I2\:k25BLkF8;YSB=nbEKnk;MKCIa7fD0ff8MIR:Bo9;V5nDhDY9O=9\?W2m0kLG_=RU172;b1Cb7

Reply to
John_H

But these are single article PDFs, not whole magazine PDFs, as far as I can tell...

-- Uwe Bonnes snipped-for-privacy@elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de

Institut fuer Kernphysik Schlossgartenstrasse 9 64289 Darmstadt

Uwe Bonnes

can

"On this site, you can download individual articles for reading o printing. Or if you like, you can read the magazine in its entirety b registering for a FREE subscription immediately available in digita format."

Hope that helps!

Reply to
RCIngham

Of course "read the magazine in its entirety" means the on-line digital version, not a downloadable pdf.

Your other possibility until the journals are archived, is to download all of the articles in pdf format and stick them together using a pdf merger. You may miss some of the excellent ads in the magazine this way, though. I wonder if Xilinx realized this when they published the articles individually?

Regards, Gabor

Reply to
Gabor

I suspect that is the case so that Xilinx have a means to monitor its readership and perhaps even determine which articles are most widely read?!?

Unfortunately the trend appears to be heading towards online "smart" readers/browsers with "fancy" fade-in pop-up menus and custom UI which I - like the OP - find bloody annoying! Give me a plain PDF - which I can read offline and print whichever pages I want for that matter - any day...

Last time I came across a HTML document spread across some 40 pages... I 'printed' it to a PDF printer and concatenated all the pages into a nice, neat single PDF file. Infinitely more useful to me in that form.

Regards,

--
Mark McDougall, Engineer
Virtual Logic Pty Ltd,

I really enjoyed the print version of the journal. It was a big expensive glossy magazine that announces to the world that Xilinx is a powerful company with the resources to put out something like this.

But someone came along and noticed (I'm sure they'll get some sort of award for this) that the PDF documents they send to the printer could just be put up on the web and they can save ALL that large amount of money that went into printing and delivering the magazine.

Now it's just one more electronic publication that I'd have to seek out, download, and read out of the many that companies try to get me to look at each month. Sadly I just can't get motivated to spend the extra time to do so.

I'm sure Xilinx will save lots of money each year by this move, but I question whether the losses resulting from the decision might not outweigh the cost savings. But of course the one is directly measurable while the other is ephemeral at best.

G.

Reply to
Gavin Scott