ANNOUNCE: TimingAnalyzer version beta 0.85

Hello All,

A new version beta 0.85 is now available. The following changes and additions have occurred.

1 Quickly add previously used Delays and Constraints from pop-up menu 2 The current state is inverted automatically when adding new pulse if the newstate in the toolbar is the same as the current state in the signal. 3 Keystroke shortcuts for all the signal state buttons in toolbar. Hover over button to see keystrokes. 4 Signals can now use text values for next state. This is useful when labels are needed in digital signals. 5 Moving text and edges by mouse drags now use undo and redo 6 Should work with JRE1.5 or newer

You can download the Free Edition now and read all about the TimingAnalyzer at:

timinganalyzer

Hi, I tried to install it on Vista Basic.But facing difficulty in installing.I did install the JRE.when I run the timinganalyzer.jar exe file It pops me a message saying main class not found exiting !! Could u pls help me in fixing the problem ...ur help will be appreciated

Thanks in advance, hesh

Reply to
mahesh

I had this when trying a previous release with a version of the JRE that was to old. Dan say's he's changed things so it should work with JRE1.5 or later, it might be worth trying with JRE1.6?

Dan?

Nial

Reply to
Nial Stewart

Can you tell what version of Java you are using? I have used beta

0.85 with JRE1.5.

If you bring up a dos window, enter

java -jar TimingAnalyzer.jar

This will report the OS, Java version, ....

Thanks, Dan

Reply to
timinganalyzer

Hi ,

I installed java version 1.6.0_06.but unable to run the analyzer...pls do gimme ur inputs...

Thanks in advance, hesh

Reply to
mahesh

Hello Hesh,

Maybe somehow the the zip file you downloaded was corrupted? The file size is 5,170KB. When you extract the zip file, you should see the directory structure shown below

c:\Apps\TimingAnalyzer_bxx dir TimingAnalyzer.jar -- The executable program docs dir -- html help files required by program images dir -- images required by program scripts dir -- user scripts themes dir -- look and feel themes pics dir -- saved images of example files examples dir -- timing diagram example files settings dir -- default and user settings

If your extracted directory structure and the size the program looks correct, then do the following and let me know the results.

Open dos window. cd to TimingAnalyzer_b85 java -jar TimingAnalyzer.jar

Copy the output shown in the dos window and send that to me. Let me know how you make out.

Thanks, Dan

Reply to
timinganalyzer

:

s and

menu

se if

.

ul when

ty in

exe

l be

ram

files required by

ired by program

el themes

ges of example files

m example files

ser

Hi Dan,

I downloaded it again....got the issue fixed... Thanks a lot for ur help, hesh

Reply to
mahesh

I have to say I don't understand the need for Java. I get the idea that it allows a single version of an application to run on many different machines and OSs. But it never seems to work very well. For one, most applications have a different look and feel than the typical application on that machine. So the user still has to learn new GUI details. But the big issue is that Java seems to always be buggy! I have a friend who is very much behind Java and the typical question about any Java problem is "do you have the most current release"? The answer is always yes, but the fact that this is the first question says to me that Java is still not stable and full of bugs.

Am I missing something with Java? If it is not buggy, why does it always seem to be messing up the windows it draws leaving shattered pieces of glass lying around?

So what is the use of having a way to run an application on all platforms if by "running" it means running very poorly?

Rick

Reply to
rickman

Hi Rick,

Why didn't you follow up your message with that fact that the download was corrupt as the OP said? Please be fair and constructive with any criticisms , don't forget it is in beta testing now and not a final release.

BTW, Java is being used by a lot of the big guys, Xilinx, Synopsys, Mentor Graphics for CAD tools. Actually, NASA used Java for parts of the mars rover and other CAD type tools for analysis.

In my case, I have found that it is always something in the code that is wrong but is easily fixed. As a one man show, I hoping on feedback from users as beta testers to help find the bugs or features that need improvements. I just don't have the time to do it all and need help testing.

But my goal is to make this program the easiest and best way to draw timing diagrams, do timing analysis, and document the results with publishing quality images.

So, please focus on the features of the program, not on the language, and help me by recommending improvements, new features, and testing.

Regards, Dan

Reply to
timinganalyzer

I wasn't even talking about your program. I was talking about how so many apps use Java and how it often doesn't seem to work well. I think I explained my concerns in detail. The bottom line is that although it seems to work much of the time, it is much, much less reliable than code written for a given architecture. That may be more work for developers if they want to support a wide range of architectures, but in the end targeted code works well.

I won't argue that at all, in fact that is my point. It is used all over the place and often works poorly. Every time I try to use it and have problems I am told to upgrade to the latest version, even when I

*am* using the latest version. I just don't think Java is ready for prime time or maybe it is a usage problem. Either way it has the same result, poorly working apps.

When I am discussing your program I try to give constructive criticism. But I wasn't talking about your program. Rather I was discussing the trend of using Java which is fairly buggy compared to most architecture specific apps.

Rick

Reply to
rickman