ANN: Altera Power Net Seminar #2

Hi,

On Thursday (Sept 6) Sanjay Rajput and I will be giving a Net Seminar entitled "Comparing Stratix II & Virtex-4 Power & Power Estimation Accuracy." This technical seminar is a follow-up to Vaughn Betz & Paul Ekas' previous seminar on power. An abstract and sign-up instructions can be found at

The talk will begin by describing Altera's PowerPlay power estimation tool suite and describe the hardware we designed for performing power comparisons between a 2S60 and 4VLX60 device. We will then present extensive bench measurements on dynamic and I/O power, and using these measurements compare Stratix II and Virtex-4 power as well as the accuracy of Altera's PowerPlay Power Analyzer and ISE XPower. Our conclusions will be that (1) Stratix II has an advantage on dynamic and I/O power, a disadvantage in static power, and overall has equal or better total power, and (2) that Altera's PowerPlay Power Analyzer consistently predicts power within a +-20% band, while XPower is less accurate.

We will be answering questions at the end of the seminar, and I look forward to any follow-up in the newsgroup.

Regards,

Paul Leventis Altera Corp.

Reply to
Paul Leventis (at home)

Quick correction: The seminar is Thursday, September *8* at 11 AM PST.

Reply to
Paul Leventis (at home)

Oh, great, can't wait for more Altera vs. Xilinx B.S., mine is bigger than yours ;-)

Reply to
che_fong