Altera vs Xilinx choices for high end designs

Hello,

I am interested in opinions concerning advantages and disadvantages of the hardware (FPGAs) and developing software (Quartus vs ISE) for high-end (very demanding designs). I was under the impression that xilinx was ahead but I've done some reading lately and StratixII seems to have made a step ahead in comparison to Virtex4. The devices I am interested in are Stratix and StratixII from one side and VirtexII pro, Virtex4 one the other.

There is not one specific parameter that I need to investigate. Procesing power, memory and I/O data rates are all significant.

Of cource the role of the EDA tools is important so if someone could give me his opinion one advantages and week points of each one I would be grateful.

Thanks

Reply to
Giorgos P.