Altera RoHS Irony

As far as I understand it, Japan has had a number of restrictions such as lead-free (or at least, reduced lead), for many years. However, the restrictions are not as strict as the new EU directives. I couldn't give you any more details or pointers, however, nor can I remember where I read about it.

Reply to
David Brown

From my limited browsing on the subject Japan has no 'lead free' legislation. Early on some Japanese companies went lead free on certain products so they could stick green labels on them and claim a marketing advantage.

When forthcoming Euro legislation was announced the Japanese (being Japanese) recognised the potential of gaining an advantage over their competitors by going lead free faster and better and that is what they have been doing. Euro legislation was the driving force behind Japanese lead free production but once started the green label marketing aspect became more important making lead free production for domestic markets more or less mandatory.

Reply to
nospam

Hi,

California is adopting the Eu RoHS rules in January 2007. So it will probably affect all American electronics companies soon.

Some of the exceptions are a bit annoying - e.g. disk drives are exempt till 2009! Server class computers!

I am finding it difficult to obtain components that meet the rules - in many cases distributors such as Digikey do not stock the lead-free parts even if available. I have also had to spin designs since the component manufacturer have decided not to make all of their packages lead-free - choosing to obsolete the device in that package!.

kevin

Reply to
kevinjwhite

Thanks for that explanation!