Altera Quartus Web Edition 8.0 available

I've just had an email from Altera about the availability of Quartus Web Edition 8.0. I'm in the process of downloading it. Hopefully It'll have finished before the system gets overloaded.

Leon

Reply to
Leon

If anyone is curious, there is a newly-removed feature in 8.0: Parallel compiles have been disabled in Web Edition.

Reply to
Henry Wong

That's not quite correct. I have

set_global_assignment -name NUM_PARALLEL_PROCESSORS 2

in my .qsf file and indeed it uses them. I find this in my fitter report:

... Info: Parallel compilation is enabled and will use up to 2 processors ... Info: Parallel compilation was enabled and used an average of 1.1 processors and a maximum of 2 processors out of 2 processors allo wed

Furthermore, version 8.0 enables the use of multiple parallel local runs for DSE, thus taking advantages are all the core you could possible have.

Version 8.0 is also a bit faster. Oddly, some designs took a slight Fmax hit with 8.0, but I haven't found a consistent pattern.

Tommy

Reply to
Tommy Thorn

Indeed. I'd think that's a bug, one I hope won't get fixed. :)

I filed a report thinking the GUI setting was broken, and got the response that parallel compiles are now disabled.

They've recently buried a line here suggesting you need the subscription edition.

Reply to
Henry Wong

We have seen 9% higher utilization for Q8.0 vs Q7.2 (subscription) on the same project. I think I'll wait for 8.1.

-- Mike Treseler

Reply to
Mike Treseler

Looks like a nice marketing trick: Release a new software version and you can sell bigger FPGAs :-)

--
Frank Buss, fb@frank-buss.de
Frank Buss

Curious. I don't know why the fitter would report more than one processor used if it didn't. However I can't say I care much. The benefit was way too little to be measurable. The multi-core DSE is a much more important feature IMO.

Tommy

Reply to
Tommy Thorn