Altera Quartus II on Linux

Hello,

I have Altera Quartus II 4.0 software and I managed to successfully install it on a Debian Linux machine (with Intel Pentium 4 processor). However, always when I try to start the software, I will get the following messages:

"Choose the preferred look and feel for the Quartus II software..."

I select Quartus II and click OK. After that I will get:

"MainWin license not available -- to run the Quartus II software, you must specify a valid license file that contains a MainWin license."

I have searched Altera web sites and newsgroups but was unable to find out what is this MainWin license. So does anybody know what it is, where could I get one and how to specify the license file for Quartus?

Thanks for your advice. It would be nice if I could do finally all FPGA development on Linux.

--
Miika Pekkarinen ,
Department of Math. Information Technology,

Hi Miika,

Youu need a license file that contains a mainwin_lnx entry or something to that effect in addition to the quartus line. You can ask your Altera FAE or sales person to get it for you. Typically yo have got this line generated if you had specified that you were using the Linux platform at the time of purchasing the Quartus subscription.

Hope this helps.

- Subroto Datta Altera Corp.

install

messages:

software..."

you

license."

Reply to
Subroto Datta

Miika Pekkarinen wrote: : Hello,

: I have Altera Quartus II 4.0 software and I managed to successfully install : it on a Debian Linux machine (with Intel Pentium 4 processor). However, : always when I try to start the software, I will get the following messages:

: "Choose the preferred look and feel for the Quartus II software..."

: I select Quartus II and click OK. After that I will get:

: "MainWin license not available -- to run the Quartus II software, you : must specify a valid license file that contains a MainWin license."

: I have searched Altera web sites and newsgroups but was unable to find out : what is this MainWin license. So does anybody know what it is, where could : I get one and how to specify the license file for Quartus?

Quartus is written as a Windows programm. To run it under Linux, Altera (like Xilinx with their ISE ) have choosen to use the MainWin libraries. They have to pay licenses for ever MainWin installation.

From what I have read above, you already have the media, probably from some distributor. So ask the distributor for a license too. A 30 (or was it 60) day free evaluation license is available, otherwise you have to pay.

Bye

Uwe Bonnes