Altera Quartus II 5.1 SP2 fails on MIF/HEX reconfig

I posted a service request with Altera on this, but I thought I would see if anyone else has seen this problem.

I have written a small 8-bit microcomputer system for my Altera DE2 board. The system has 16kB ROM that I preinitialize with an intel .hex format file.

The design takes quite a while to fit because I want to operate it at a relatively high clock rate (100MHz), so I turned on smart-compile. Now that the basic hardware is functioning, and I am only changing the ROM image, I would expect to simply recompile and let Quartus read in the new .hex file.

However, when I try to recompile, I get an error: Internal Error: Sub-system: QATM, File: qatm_mif_update.cpp, Line: 554 RAM/CAM MIF reconfig failed Quartus II Version 5.1 Build 216 03/06/2006 SJ Web Edition Service Pack Installed: 2

Note, the fitter doesn't (seem) to have a problem reading the .hex file. I can manually rerun the fitter, and it appears to work just fine. I believe the fitter is working properly because the address patterns seems consistent with a hang - not an uninitialized memory.

This is on a Windows XP workstation. The project files are mounted from a file server on drive Y:.

Thanks!

Reply to
radarman

Hi Radarman,

This is probably a bug in Quartus II 5.1 SP1. If you have an support incident opened email me the number so that we can verify it with the design, or zip the project archive and emailit to me separately. We can ley you know if this has been fixed in 6.0 or if it is still a problem fix it for 6.1.

Thanks, Subroto Datta Altera Corp.

Reply to
Subroto Datta

The same problem occurs in 6.0, but I discovered that it works if I convert my .hex file to .mif. For some reason, it doesn't like my .hex initialization files.

Just out of curiosity, is there a command line utility that will convert from .hex to .mif? I could add it to my build scripts.

Thanks!

Reply to
radarman

Google hex2mif. I cannot personally vouch for the correctness of these hex2mif converters but you can try. Anyway thanks for the lead and I will follow up on it.

- Subroto Datta Altera Corp.

Reply to
Subroto Datta