Altera Quartus II 4.2 SP1 fit problem and Altera APEX20KE clock problem

I'm using an Altera APEX20KE with 200k gates on a bought FPGA board. The Clocks 1 and 2 of the FPGA are used by the board, the Clocks 3 and 4 are free. I testet the i2c-core from opencores.org working with the onboard clock on Clock-Pin 2 and it works fine. If I connect (just connect not use in the FPGA, I'm still using the onboard clock from Clock-Pin 2) an own clock to the two free Clock-Pins, the i2c-core doesn't work anymore !!! :-( If I use my own clock on Clock-Pin 3 or 4 as clock-input for the i2c-core, it doesn't work too. I can't understand this behaviour !?!?!?

If I put in the Altera Megafunction altclklock at the input of Clock2 and Clock4 Quartus II 4.2 SP1 can't fit. The Error Messages of the Fitter are: Error: Project requires too many 2 ClockLock PLLs, but the selected device can contain only 0 ClockLock PLLs Error: Project requires 2 signals of type clock output, but the target device can contain only 1 signals Error: Can't fit design in device Error: Quartus II Fitter was unsuccessful. 3 errors, 0 warnings but the APEX20KE: EP20K200EFC672-3 has 2 PLLs according to the data sheet!!!! Is this an Error in Quartus or mine???

Please Help

Manfred Balik

Reply to
Manfred Balik

Hi Manfred, I'm not familiar with Apex too much but I know on Stratix certain PLL can ONLY be instatiated with certain dedicated clock pins, ie. the PLL # has to match the clock pin, otherwise a no-fit occurs. I suspect this is your problem. Check the Apex docs, or swap the clock pins that feed your PLLs.

HTH, Pete

Reply to
Peter Sommerfeld

Hi Manfred,

The EP20K200Exxx-1X and -2X have proper PLLs, the others don't. All the bigger 20KEs have PLLs, but in the non-X version these haven't been tested and might therefore be defective.

If this is a recently-produced device and doesn't push the edge of performance of the -3, you might want to classify it as a -2X and see how well you fare in practice, but don't try this if you're going to actually produce something with a -3 posing as a -2X.

Best regards,

Ben

Reply to
Ben Twijnstra

I'm using the right clock pins (if I understand the data sheet correct)! ... and this is the behaviour I don't understand :-( Manfred

"Peter Sommerfeld" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Manfred Balik