Altera MAX-II: User logic access to USERCODE_REGISTER?

I would like to do something like:

module maxii (..pin1,pin2..);
output pin1;
output pin2;
assign pin1 = USERCODE_REGISTER[0];
assign pin2 = USERCODE_REGISTER[2];
endmodule

Which should cause pin1 and pin2 to change to reflect the values of
USERCODE_REGISTER scanned in through the JTAG port. Is this possible,
if so how do I access the USERCODE_REGISTER from my logic?

TIA
Petter

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

google: "cyclone bscan" - to find what I antti (me) have written about
this

http://wiki.openchip.org/index.php/Altera:JTAG

MAXII is similar to Cyclone, I have verified that in silicon

antti

Re: Altera MAX-II: User logic access to USERCODE_REGISTER?

Thanks!

BTW, is there a way to make quartus_pgm play SVF files (or convert SVF
into some other format I can play)? I would like to play the following
file:

SIR 10 TDI (007);
SDR 32 TDI (FFFFFFFF); ! or some other pattern

I would then expect to observe the USERCODE value being shifted out of
the maxii_jtag module from my user logic.

Petter
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
Re: Altera MAX-II: User logic access to USERCODE_REGISTER?

you can defenetly use jam/stapl with quartus, its a bit pain as it requres
CRC I think it can be ignored and after warning quartus programmer will
accept the file but its generically more pain than using SVF

you can connect Cable III to the JTAG and use impact, or I could search my
hard disk and upload a XSVFplayer that supports byteblaster cable

--
Antti Lukats
http://www.xilant.com

Re: Altera MAX-II: User logic access to USERCODE_REGISTER?

Is there a way to convert SVF to JAM/STAPL using Qaurtus? I was hoping
I could just do something like

quartus_pgm --play-svf file.svf

or similar.

I'll just make a jumper and use the JTAG Techologies BV software...
Thanks.

Petter

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
Re: Altera MAX-II: User logic access to USERCODE_REGISTER?

Can you play SVF files with impact? How?

Thank you for your help.

Petter
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
Re: Altera MAX-II: User logic access to USERCODE_REGISTER?
yes you can play SVF files with impact, just add them :)

antti

Re: Altera MAX-II: User logic access to USERCODE_REGISTER?

I guess you mean XSVF files?

I can't find out how to play XSVF files in batch mode, there is a play
command but it does not seem to take a filename as an argument.

Petter
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
Re: Altera MAX-II: User logic access to USERCODE_REGISTER?

The solution was to use addDevice to add the file and then use play:

setMode -bscan
setCable -port lpt1
addDevice -p 1 -part file.xsvf
play