Altera FLEX 8000

Here's a question I know has already been asked but I was not satisfied with the answer.

How could I get Quartus II to support the FLEX 8000 devices?

I've already got a couple of FLEX 8000 chips and a complete version of Quartus II 4.1. All the FLEX family is supported (6000, 10K, 10KA and

10KE) except for the 8000.

Is there a way to add the FLEX 8000 to this list? I would really prefer working with Quartus II than Max Plus II.

thx, Vincent

Reply to
Vincent Perron

Hi Vincent,

The FLEX 8000 are 'not recommended for new designs', and have had this status for a much longer time than the FLEX 6K and 10Kx series, so support for these beasts was never planned for Quartus, even after they put MaxPlus into maintenance mode.

Although I concur that Quartus is a great step ahead from MaxPlus, I don't think MP2 is a bad tool. Okay, the GUI looks pretty clunky, but on the other hand it's fast, doesn't eat up a lot of resources and pretty much does the job.

Is there a strong reason for you to keep using the (old, small, slow) 8K series instead of the newer stuff, apart from the fact that you already have a few parts?

Best regards,

Ben

Reply to
Ben Twijnstra

We use the 8000 in an old version of our development environment. I need to redesign some part of it put I didn't want to put much more money in it. I guess I'll stick with MAX+PLUSII for this part of the job.

Thanks, Vince

Reply to
vincent.perron

I used FLEX8000 device and developed with MAX2+. For poor performance, altera produced advanced synthesis tool as I know. Synthesis tool name is 'Altera Max+plus II advanced synthesis'. It is download free, but you may feel hard to find it from altera web site. :-)

Regards, S.H, Lee

Reply to
SeungHeun, Lee

The 'Altera Max+plus II advanced synthesis' is svailable at:

It will be useful if you are using VHDL or Verilog files in your design.

Hope this helps, Subroto Datta Altera Corp.

Reply to
Subroto Datta