altera DDR core simulation with NCSim

Quite a simple question: how to simulate the DDR-SDRAM core from Altera in NCSim. I just can 't figure it out though Altera *claims* to support NCSim. To me it looks like their development chain is realy ModelSim/Quartus only...

The things I've tried:

  • simulate netlist from core (yes I've got a license) : doesnt' work due to errors when trying to compile the thing.
  • dump a "functional description" of the core: works but I'm missing some important functionality like burst length settings and so on. The IP generation tool doesn't seem to work in Linux so it's switching back and forth to Windows when I want to change something in the core.

Anyone a sollution? To Altera: lovely FPGA's but quite crapy software (did I mention how many times Quartus crashes in Windows?). Sorry to say that.

Jan

Reply to
Jan De Ceuster

Hi Jan, We are sorry to hear that the Quartus software crashed on Windows for you. We are definitely interested in understanding this fully and resolving the matter for you. The stability of the Quartus software on all supported platforms is very good, based on customer feedback which we monitor very closely. If there are specific Internal Error messages or sequences of steps that causedQuartusto crash, do email them to me and I will follow up with you by mail.

I will send you a separate reply on the DDR core simulation and Linux questions.

Hope this helps.

- Subroto Datta Altera Corp.

Reply to
Subroto Datta

Consider posting the first few error messages.

-- Mike Treseler

Reply to
Mike Treseler

Yeah I know, I should give more information though no workarounds possbile (besides of editing the code) I think.

here it is:

ncvhdl: 05.00-p001: (c) Copyright 1995-2003 Cadence Design Systems, Inc. SIGNAL ww_\g_local_buffered_if:wdata_fifo\_data : std_logic_vector(29 DOWNTO 0); | ncvhdl_p: *E,NOTRUS (ddr_test.vho,16316|9): illegal trailing underline [13.3]. SIGNAL ww_\g_local_buffered_if:wdata_fifo\_data : std_logic_vector(29 DOWNTO 0); | ncvhdl_p: *E,MISCOL (ddr_test.vho,16316|10): expecting a colon (':') 93[4.3.1.2]. SIGNAL ww_\g_local_buffered_if:wdata_fifo\_data : std_logic_vector(29 DOWNTO 0); | ncvhdl_p: *E,NOLDUS (ddr_test.vho,16316|42): illegal leading underline [13.3]. SIGNAL ww_\g_local_buffered_if:wdata_fifo\_q : std_logic_vector(29 DOWNTO 0);

Synopsys DC gives the same error (mind that the 'arrow' points at the first backslash):

SIGNAL ww_\g_local_buffered_if:wdata_fifo\_data : std_logic_vector(29 DOWNTO 0); ^

**Error: /home/jandc/test/test_netlist/ddr_test.vho line 16316 Invalid delimiter character: `'. (VSS-965)

I think that the _\ construction is illegal but to be honnest: I've no desire to dig in the vhdl reference to see who is right, Cadence and Synopsys versus Altera.

Reply to
Jan De Ceuster

Hi Jan,

Use the Quartus Assignments->Settings->EDA Settings->Simulation dialog to set the Target simulator to NCVHDL and check the Map Illegal VHDL characters box. This will force the illegal characters to be mapped to legal characters. We are still interested in understanding how the netlist with th eillegal characters was generated.

Hope this helps.

- Subroto Datta Altera Corp.

Reply to
Subroto Datta

Hi Subroto,

the netlist was generated in the fasted way I could get that netlist. I took the generated DDR SDRAM core from the Altera IP libary (version

2.2) and putted it in a Quartus II 4.1 projectfile on a Stratix FPGA. I've did no pinassignments whatsoever (or any other assignment) and the compiled the whole thing and let Quartus dump out a NCSim (here I am again) VHDL netlist. So in short: generate DDR core, dump it in Quartus 4.1 as is and compile to netlist.

Jan

Reply to
Jan De Ceuster

Hi Jan,

The construct written out in the vho netlist by Quartus was illegal, and that is the reason for the message. This bug exists in Quartus II

4.0, 4.1 and 4.2. In each of these versions, you can workaround this in one of two ways: The first described in the earlier post which is to use Assignments->EDA Settings->Simulation, turn Map Illegal Characters to on, OR the second which is Assignments->EDA Settings->SimulationMaintain Hierarchy to off.

This bug will be fixed in Quartus II version 5.0.

no

and

Hope this helps, Subroto Datta Altera Corp.

Reply to
sdatta