Altera ByteBlaster and SignalTap on Fedora Core

Is the Byte Blaster Cable and Signal Tap supported on Linux and more specifically on Fedora Core 5 or 6? All of my experience has been with Xilinx tools, this will be my first use of the Altera debug tools. Xilinx's ChipScope has only marginal Linux support. There is a kernel specific driver that only runs on the RHEL version of the kernel which is so old as to be useless on a laptop. I was wondering if Altera has the same sort of limitations or if their tools are kernel independent.

Thanks,

Reply to
General Schvantzkoph

Yes, SignalTap is supported on Linux. With regard to ByteBlaster, it is supported on 32-bit Linux but not on 64-bit Linux. But, the 64-bit Linux does however support Ethernet Blaster.

Reply to
rekha.arun

Are there any kernel issues?

Reply to
General Schvantzkoph

For ByteBlaster( II or MV), you can use the /dev/parport? driver. Be sure to have permission to use that device. In addition, there is a ByteBlaster kernel driver to speed up the access. For the USBBlaster, no additional usb driver is needed. However, a bit configuration is needed. See

For MasterBlaster (serial port only), /dev/ttyS? driver is used. For EthernetBlaster, it works with the TCP/IP stack.

In summary, no additional kernel driver is needed for all blasters.

- Subroto Datta Altera Corp.

Reply to
Subroto Datta

Thanks