AGM vs. Gowin

My holy grail has always been a simple CPU combined with a smallish FPGA. There are a few out there, very few, but none of them are available in appr opriate packages and inexpensive.

I've found a couple of Chinese startups that seem to have some interesting devices. AGM has the AG6K, a 6k LUT with 250 MHz ARM in a QFP100, pretty m uch the perfect part. Trouble is I can't tell if this company is real. Or maybe they are targeting customers buying millions with nothing to offer t he smaller users.

Another is by Gowin. They actually make several. They have options for ex tra memory along with an ARM CPU and 2 or 4 kLUTs. But they fall down on t he packaging. They offer a 48QFN and a couple of other larger packages, bu t nothing suitable. They use the 88QFN and 100QFP, but not for the ARM ver sion. They even have a version with a Bluetooth stack, but for some reason that uses an ARC processor (not that it's a problem) and still comes up ve ry short in the packaging/IO count. Gowin seems a bit more real, but still hard to find anyone selling their product line.

The docs from both companies are not so easy to glean info from. I guess t hat goes with the territory of start ups.

So close and yet so far...

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

I had a talk with the Gowin folks. They have plans for FPGA/CPU in a 48 pi n package, to be out 1Q2020, but not nearly enough I/Os, only 30ish (don't recall the exact number). To bring the chip out in a larger package with m ore I/Os means they need a customer with plans to use the device in large n umbers. My quantities aren't enough.

On the other hand, an email I sent to AGM has not received a reply. That s eems pretty clear. They are only dealing with large customers and won't be selling through distribution for some time.

Anlogic is another FPGA startup, but I see no sign they are selling to smal l buyers. Their chip is used for a RISC-V board as a soft core on the EG4S

  1. Again, I haven't been able to contact them. In fact, their web site i s all in Chinese. Maybe I need to learn a new language.
--

  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

Microsemi (now part of Microchip) has some smaller FPGAs (with an optional Arm Cortex M3) in a 144QFN. Its a bit bigger than you are talking about

Reply to
Richard Damon

[...]

Yes, I'm familiar with the general features of the Microsemi (now Microchip ?, formerly Actel) line. The QFP144 is wider than the board I want to put this chip on. The QFP100 barely fits. A QN88 is a good fit if the undersi de pad doesn't get in the way of routing vias, but I think it will be ok. I have five resistor packs on the other side of the board, but they might n ot be needed with a new FPGA. They are mostly just insurance of I/Os being in the right state after power up and before configuration is complete. A lso, their parts with the ARM are rather pricey.

Lattice has a newer XO3D in a 100QFP that should do the job. A bit more th an I'd like to pay, but workable. The Chinese parts could be the perfect f it if both they and the company making them are real enough. If I have to I can use another old part like the Spartan 3A, but how much longer will th ey be affordable nearing the 20 year point? If none of the Chinese parts w ork out, it will be the XO3D or a BGA. High pin count BGAs tend to cost mo re and the finer design rules for the PWB make that cost more too.