Add files to Xilinx ISE Project w/script

ucfs, cores, source) and have to add my own components to the project.
Is there a way to add files to a Xilinx ISE 7.1 project with a script
file or the command line instead of using the "Add Source ..." option
in the Project menu?

Thanks,

Andrew

Re: Add files to Xilinx ISE Project w/script

I don't have an answer. But since I am still annoyed about it...;) Up
through ISE6.3, this was trivial to do, because the project file was
plain text. I frequently added and removed things with a text editor,
which I found to be easier than the "Add Source ..." stuff. Then someone
decided to to change to a binary file for ISE 7.1 :-(

Re: Add files to Xilinx ISE Project w/script
ISE 7.1 will automatically convert .npl to .ise project, so a hack would be
to create a .npl as you would and then let the tool deal with the format.

HTH,
Jim

Re: Add files to Xilinx ISE Project w/script
I agree and I too am annoyed. Why did they change it to binary?

Re: Add files to Xilinx ISE Project w/script

We didn't get a resolution to this discussion last time it came up...
the following was pasted from
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.arch.fpga/browse_frm/thread/463e8ef573f4d6dc/5c9c56139ab0ab9e

http://tinyurl.com/aaluz

] I'm guessing it wasn't paranoia, because they provide a way to import
] and export information to/from the new binary .ise file:
]
] http://support.xilinx.com/xlnx/xil_ans_display.jsp?getPagePath21%067
]
] My WAG is that they mistakenly thought they needed to go binary to
] improve the speed of the GUI (which can be sluggish with large
] projects, even on a decently fast machine).

Now that I've had months to thinking on it, maybe it was paranoia -
they just had to get over it because customers complained.  Doubt we'll
ever know.

Have fun,

    Marc

Re: Add files to Xilinx ISE Project w/script

I don't know about a script, but do you realize you can add multiple
files at once using the "Add Source" if they're in the same folder.
I'm assuming you're looking for a way to reduce the tedium of adding
a lot of new source files?

Re: Add files to Xilinx ISE Project w/script

Learn how to write makefiles, and use gnu make.  Then don't worry
about Xilinx GUIs again, excluding the tools that should be graphical:
FPGAeditor and FloorPlanner.

--
Phil Hays to reply solve: phil_hays at not(coldmail) dot com
 If not cold then hot

Re: Add files to Xilinx ISE Project w/script

I agree strongly!

Petter
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Got any info/links/tutorials on the best way to learn to use makefiles
and GNU make to build FPGAs?

Andrew

Re: Add files to Xilinx ISE Project w/script

If you have some type of UNIX, you probably already have make
installed.  If you have windows easiest thing to do is to install
Cygwin:

http://www.cygwin.com /

Documentation on gnu make is at:

http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/html_mono/make.html

For how to use XST and the rest of the tools on command line, see the
Xilinx documentation.

--
Phil Hays to reply solve: phil_hays at not(coldmail) dot com
 If not cold then hot

Re: Add files to Xilinx ISE Project w/script
Hi Andrew,

This is exactly what EDK does.  Take a look at the Makefiles and
associated synthesis scripts that are generated to build a MicroBlaze /
PPC project.  It exercises pretty much everything you'll need to know -
xst, ngdbuild, map, par, bitgen,...

John

Site Timeline