Actel IGLOO FPGA has lower power consumption then Xilinx Coolrunner-II CPLD?

I was trying to estimate the power consumption of IGLOO AGL600V2 FPGA from Actel with IGLOO power calculator (posted on Actel website). I received very astonishing results. With full logic utilization at 50 MHz, 25% toggle rate and around 100 I/Os (LVCMOS 1.8V, LVCMOS 3.3V) it consumes around 100 mW. It's about half of Xilinx Coolrunner-II consumption and a small fraction of Xilinx FPGAs (Spartan or Virtex) for same functionality. I was very surprised by this so maybe I'm missing something here. Is anybody familiar with this chip and its power consumption?

Reply to
ikogan

Which Xilinx parts you used as a comparison point? I don't have expertise on Actel parts, but they seem to have 'quite' optimistic marketing gates readings, so comparing 250k part to 250k part might not be fair.

On a related topic - does anyone have expertise about the trade-offs of Actel's "Versa-Tiles" vs. 4/6-LUTs. It seems like obviously wastefull configuration - how many thansistors they can really share between 3-LUT and D-FF? Is there some benefit in this configuration, or is this 'design choice' made just to avoid Altera and Xilinx patents?

- Doug

Reply to
Douglas