Actel Designer on multiple cores

Hi everyone,

I had my vbox running with one core only (out of 4 on the host) and Designer was running extremely slow, so I thought 'what the heck' I'm not doing much with the other 3 cores on my host, so maybe I'll throw another core to my vbox so that I can run Designer faster.

What a wishful thinking... designer_bin goes up to 50% only of my cpu resources, clearly hinting that it does not know how to run on a multicore system. Is this possible?

Is there anyway to bypass this problem?

Thanks a lot,

Al

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Ok I can even add Synplify Pro to the list of tools which is running on a single core as well.

Is this a common feature I did not happen to know? (I start to believe so).

Al

alb wrote:

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Pretty much. Quartus has had the ability to use multiple cores for years, but until 13.x the average number of cores used was about 1.7. 13.x is a lot better, but still it's primarily the fitter that may use of 4 or so cores (on a 16 physical/32 hyperthread machine).

Once this happens Amdahl's law starts to bite: the parallel stage happens quick(er), but the rest of the synthesis is now the bottleneck.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

I didn't measure exactly, but my impression was that Quartus 13.1 fitter running on 4 cores gets the job done approximately 1.5 faster than when running on a single core. Nice speed-up, but hardly a game changer. May be that's because the machine in question is rather old Nehalem-based i7-920. Relatively to newer Intel cores, Nehalem is severely constrained by L3 cache bandwidth.

I am especially annoyed by slowness of Altera assembler and Timequest timing analyzer. Because this comparatively (to fitter) simple tools do not have to be slow.

Reply to
already5chosen