A total beginner, wondering about determining hardware specs. requirements

Hi, I'm just starting to learn Verilog/systemverilog and I've been running some of my code through simulators to ensure that it works, but I am looking into acquiring a development board for further testing and learning experience.

Assuming I already had a program that I wanted to run (primarily for network purposes if this matters,) what would I use to estimate the amount of required LE's or CLB's in the FPGA in order to execute the code?

Reply to
Ivan Tolkachev

Am Montag, 19. November 2012 04:51:15 UTC+1 schrieb Ivan Tolkachev:

some of my code through simulators to ensure that it works, but I am looking into acquiring a development board for further testing and learning experience.

purposes if this matters,) what would I use to estimate the amount of required LE's or CLB's in the FPGA in order to execute the code?

Hi, an FPGA is not executing code or running programs. It is implementing a logic network.

To get an idea about the ammout of hardware elements needed for a specific design description you can simply run the synthesis tool and read the reports. If you are using IP cores you might need to run the whole implementation flow to see the true ressource usage numbers.

Have a nice synthesis Eilert

Reply to
goouse99

(snip)

Yes, I was about to write the same thing.

The easiest way to do IP, though, is to implement a soft processor in the FPGA and then run IP software, in which case you are running programs.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt