a question about linker map file

Hi,

I'm currently working in a POSIX thread management and synchronization library upon xilkernel + (powerpc/microblaze). This library really provides to user all thread-related xilkernel services plus conditional variables and thread-specific data). Now, I'm interested in measuring the size of this library in a specific executable application.

I have generated the map file but there are a few sections, such us, .stab, .stabstr, .comment, or things as "size before relaxing" that I don't understand. I can't find good documentation in Internet about this matter.

  1. Can anyone explain me the purpose of these sections?
  2. Where can I find documentation about this issue in Internet?

PD. Sorry for my English.

Best regards, Paco

Reply to
pperogil

I did a google of stab linker and got a bunch of hits.

html

Reply to
Newman

Newman,

I had already visited that url, but I didn't do a deeply search. Sorry.

I have found more info about stabs in the next url:

It seems to be that this section is used for debugging purposes (gdb), but all my applications, my library and xilkernel are compiled without the -g option (and with -O2), so no debug information should appear in the map file. Does anybody have more precise information about this?

Best regards, Paco

Reply to
pperogil