A free VHDL simulator

Hi, before downloading ISE webpack, I wanted to ask, if there is a free VHDL simulator, which is easy to compile or stable ?

FreeHDL crashes on my machine, and ghdl -> I don't know how to compile.

Any suggestions ?

-Thorsten

Reply to
Thorsten Kiefer

Hi Thorsten,

there are lesser known beasts out there like nvc (it has left me with a goo d impression) or Nick's VHDL compiler and fauhdlc (interpreter for an IR fo r expressing a VHDL subset). fauhdlc has reached to a point of getting regu lar ubuntu packaging. nvc is on github and looks alive (last updated four d ays ago).

nvc:

fauhdlc:

Both are some steps from supporting the entire VHDL'93 or VHDL-2000 yet the y are quite interesting.

Best regards Nikolaos Kavvadias

Nikolaos Kavvadias

ghdl : on most platforms you don't have to compile it, there are pre- built packages of ghdl-0.31 available, see

projects/ghdl-updates/

If your OS isn't covered; what do you need?

If you meant you don't know how to compile your VHDL code...

and see the ghdl manual linked there.

- Brian

Reply to
Brian Drummond

Hi,

this doesn't exactly answer your question. But the non-free ISIM that comes with ISE webpack is quite useful, especially in combination with gtkwave.

It can cope with mixed Verilog/VHDL designs up to some (IMO fairly reasonable) size limit.

mnentwig

Am Mittwoch, 25. Juni 2014 22:50:55 UTC+2 schrieb mnentwig:

I think, that will be my choice.

BTW I use Lubuntu, and Lubuntu does not include ghdl.

I meant : I don't know how to compile ghdl.

Regards Thorsten

Reply to
Thorsten Kiefer

Upstream of Lubuntu, there are problems or ambiguities licensing the IEEE libraries under terms acceptable to Debian. Until these are resolved somehow, official packages of ghdl are problematic.

But you shouldn't need to compile ghdl : the .deb packages at [1] ought to install OK. If they don't, I'd be interested to know why not.

[1]
Debian/

- Brian

Reply to