A dev board supporting partial/dynamic reconf.

Hello, Could U please suggest me a development board which really supports partial/dynamic reconfiguration, satisfying one crucial requirement:

** being shipped with one or more reference designs exploiting partial/dynamic reconf **

It would also be nice if the board:

- exploited FPGA self-reconf capabilities (e.g., the Xilinx ICAP component)

- cost less than 1000 $

- had an embedded OS ported on it

I of course know not all these requirements can be satisfied at the same time!! :) the OS is not really important for now...

Many many thanks for your help

pablo

Reply to
pablo

Any board out there with a Virtex-II, Virtex-II Pro, or Virtex-4 will support run-time reconfiguration through the Internal Configuration Access Port (ICAP). ucLinux can be easily run on a MicroBlaze on any of these boards and Monta Vista Linux is available on the PPC on many

2vp boards.

As for a board that has reference designs supporting partial dynamic reconfiguration, I know of none that exist. Partial reconfiguration is not an easy task and, as several other posts will contest to, it is currently broken in the tools.

I have heard that Xilinx is working on the problem, as there is growing demand for this from the Software Defined Radio community.

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Craven

John Williams' "Partial Reconfiguration on Xilinx Devices" email list is another resource:

The archive is available here:

Paul Hartke

Stephen Craven ha scritto:

My question then is... what do I do with the ICAP component if partial reconfiguration (and thus, in particular, self-configuration, which is partial and dynamic by definition) is not supported by the development tools????

Or, do ICAP-based self-configuring designs actually exist out there? If this is the case, how could I find some examples?

Many thanks again pablo

Reply to
pablo

"pablo" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

nomans land, no examples, possible by theory only. if you want then its a lot of hard work on pain.

sure it depends what you want todo, implementing small changes isnt a problem, just look the locations in the .LL file and rewrite using ICAP but if you want to reload larger part of the FPGA then it comes a major problem

Antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats

Hi,

I have written a presentation about my PhD. Thesis work. My final application was a hardware-accelerated SSH version over a MicroBlaze-uCLinux Self-reconfigurable system based on Spartan-3 FPGA. On it, all information about partial reconfiguration is shown. I think it can be useful for you. I had to resolve the lack of the ICAP module (Spartan-3 has not ICAP, so I used a external circuit) and a lot of problems related with partial reconfiguration (I developed a custom tool that was successfully tested in Spartan-3, Virtex-E and Virtex-II). Of course, I hope that future ISE versions resolve the problems :)

Link:

Regards,

Ivan

Antti Lukats wrote:

Reply to
Ivan

Hi pablo,

we have developed a rapid prototyping system with partial reconfiguration in mind (and currently working on another one...). For more information visit

(mostly in german...sorry for that). Feel free to contact us for more information, we are also working on partial reconfiguration.

Regards

Jens

Reply to
jenze